Microsoft to enhance app server features of Windows Server 2008
It will release a preview of 'Dublin' at PDC next month
Computerworld - Microsoft Corp. said it will boost the application server capabilities of Windows Server 2008 with more SOA-friendly features to aid developers working with the company's upcoming .Net 4.0 framework.
The company today announced it will release a preview of new app server features, formerly code-named Dublin, at Microsoft's Professional Developers Conference (PDC) later this month in Los Angeles.
Dublin's features include prebuilt developer services, greater scalability and easier manageability, and support for Microsoft's Oslo modeling platform, according to a Press Pass interview posted on Microsoft's Web site.
Besides the Community Technology Preview of Dublin, Microsoft also plans to release CTPs of the 4.0 iterations of Windows Workflow Foundation (WWF) and Windows Communication Foundation (WCF). WWF and WCF are workflow management and application communication technologies that are part of the .Net framework.
WWF 4.0 will include performance and scalability improvements, new workflow control models and an updated visual designer. WCF 4.0 will have, among other things, enhancements to the REST architecture key to Web services, as well as messaging transports and protocols.
Products that will support .Net 4.0 and Dublin include Microsoft's ERP software, Dynamics AX and Microsoft Dynamics CRM. Microsoft said it has some third-party vendors also committed to using .Net 4.0.
The final release of these technologies is undetermined, according to Microsoft, though Dublin will come sometime after .Net 4.0 and Visual Studio 10 ship. Dublin will initially be released via download to Windows Servers customers, and later included in future releases of Windows Server. It will be backward compatible with applications built on earlier versions of .Net, and will also work with both Oslo and BizTalk Server's enterprise connectivity services, Microsoft said.
Read more about Data Center in Computerworld's Data Center Topic Center.
- Whitepaper: The Continuous Innovation Advantage of SaaS This report defines the next generation system of record, outlining the changes and challenges with current technology and how continuous innovation has become...
- Forrester Report: The ROI of Software as a Service Read Forrester's review of 11 vendors in SaaS enterprise resource planning (ERP), customer relationship management (CRM), and supply chain management (SCM).
- Whitepaper: Redefining Enterprise Software Whitepaper In this whitepaper you will learn what changes are impacting business and human capital management today and how the HR department and its...
- Modernize Your Business with Oracle ERP Cloud This eBook explores the core components of a cloud-based ERP solution that delivers enterprise-class software without sacrificing functionality or changes to business processes...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All ERP White Papers | Webcasts