Twitter launches election site to tap election 'tweets'
Site features hot election topics of Twitter users; constantly updates campaign posts
The election site -- launched to coincide with today's presidential debate in Mississippi -- features highlights of "hot election topics" that are determined by Twitter user search queries. The site also includes a ticker of posts that is updated every few seconds.
Whenever Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) update their Twitter accounts, the posts will also be added to Twitter's central election site. Users can also filter the main timeline of posts by candidate name, Twitter said.
"Twitter is the pulse of what is happening with the people, organizations and events you care about -- delivered immediately, wherever you are," Twitter said in a blog post. "Proven compelling during shared events ranging from earthquakes to film festivals, Twitter now introduces an engaging new way to participate in democracy."
Twitter is increasingly being used to broadcast short messages, or tweets, from various newsmaking entities, including NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander and members of Congress. Some companies are even monitoring Twitter for customer service complaints.
Last month, Republicans in Congress used Twitter to help stage a protest over a piece of legislation.
Earlier this month, protesters at the Republican National Convention in Minneapolis used Twitter to help organize their movements and elude police.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts