Twitter launches election site to tap election 'tweets'
Site features hot election topics of Twitter users; constantly updates campaign posts
The election site -- launched to coincide with today's presidential debate in Mississippi -- features highlights of "hot election topics" that are determined by Twitter user search queries. The site also includes a ticker of posts that is updated every few seconds.
Whenever Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) update their Twitter accounts, the posts will also be added to Twitter's central election site. Users can also filter the main timeline of posts by candidate name, Twitter said.
"Twitter is the pulse of what is happening with the people, organizations and events you care about -- delivered immediately, wherever you are," Twitter said in a blog post. "Proven compelling during shared events ranging from earthquakes to film festivals, Twitter now introduces an engaging new way to participate in democracy."
Twitter is increasingly being used to broadcast short messages, or tweets, from various newsmaking entities, including NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander and members of Congress. Some companies are even monitoring Twitter for customer service complaints.
Last month, Republicans in Congress used Twitter to help stage a protest over a piece of legislation.
Earlier this month, protesters at the Republican National Convention in Minneapolis used Twitter to help organize their movements and elude police.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts