Twitter launches election site to tap election 'tweets'
Site features hot election topics of Twitter users; constantly updates campaign posts
The election site -- launched to coincide with today's presidential debate in Mississippi -- features highlights of "hot election topics" that are determined by Twitter user search queries. The site also includes a ticker of posts that is updated every few seconds.
Whenever Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) update their Twitter accounts, the posts will also be added to Twitter's central election site. Users can also filter the main timeline of posts by candidate name, Twitter said.
"Twitter is the pulse of what is happening with the people, organizations and events you care about -- delivered immediately, wherever you are," Twitter said in a blog post. "Proven compelling during shared events ranging from earthquakes to film festivals, Twitter now introduces an engaging new way to participate in democracy."
Twitter is increasingly being used to broadcast short messages, or tweets, from various newsmaking entities, including NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander and members of Congress. Some companies are even monitoring Twitter for customer service complaints.
Last month, Republicans in Congress used Twitter to help stage a protest over a piece of legislation.
Earlier this month, protesters at the Republican National Convention in Minneapolis used Twitter to help organize their movements and elude police.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Riverbed Stingray Application Firewall: Securing Cloud Applications with a Distributed Web Application Firewall Responsibility over IT security is moving away from the network and IT infrastructure and to the application and software architecture itself. IT organizations...
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts