Yahoo launches long-awaited display ad platform
The ad platform has been one of Yahoo's big projects to grab a larger slice of Internet ad revenue
IDG News Service - Yahoo Inc. rolled out part of a new advertising platform on Wednesday that's intended to streamline how digital ads are bought and placed across the Web.
The platform, APT, has been under development for at least two years. APT has been one of Yahoo's big projects undertaken to improve its financial performance and grab a larger slice of rising Internet advertising revenue.
Yahoo hastily previewed APT, then known as AMP, in April, as the company was under intense pressure caused by Microsoft Corp.'s acquisition attempt.
The APT Web site is short on details, but the company outlines its features.
APT aims to link Web site owners, advertisers and the agencies between them that sell ads. It's an automated platform that gives advertisers a range of tools to control where ads should appear, what kind of Web surfers the ads should be shown to, and how much they are willing to pay.
Yahoo's strength has been in display advertising area, while Google Inc. has built its robust business on text-based ads that can be incorporated into Web sites with similar content. Google, however, is also diversifying its platform for display ads and Microsoft also remains a key player.
Two newspapers, the San Francisco Chronicle and the San Jose Mercury News, will use APT, Yahoo said. The publications are part of a newspaper consortium established in 2006, in which the papers share ad revenue with Yahoo in exchange for technical assistance.
Yahoo said more of the consortium's 784 newspapers will adopt APT through next year.
APT can serve ads, meaning it places an ad in the right spot at the right time on a publisher's site. It also is its own ad network, which links advertisers and publishers, and an ad exchange, where ads can be bought and sold. Ad exchanges help publishers find ads to show when they have unsold spaces.
Yahoo says APT can deliver ads based on where a person is browsing the Internet and on their online behavior. Those targeting capabilities are increasingly being demanded by advertisers, which don't want to spend money showing ads to people who are likely not interested in their product.
APT also has other tools for publishers, such as managing the schedule of when ads will be shown and tools that help ensure all available ad space is sold.
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Retail White Papers | Webcasts