Google boosts search lead over Yahoo, Microsoft
Americans turned to the search giant for 11 billion searches in August, says ComScore
Computerworld - Google Inc. continued to bolster its hold on the U.S. search market in August, when it captured 63% of 11 billion searches, according to data released yesterday.
The share of searches on Google sites increased from 61% in July, according to ComScore Inc., which measures and analyzes online activity. In August, Google was followed by Yahoo Inc. (which captured a 19% share of searches), Microsoft Corp. (8%), AOL (4.3%) and the Ask Network (4%).
ComScore said that Google handled 7 billion of the 11 billion searches on core sites by Americans in August. Meanwhile, Yahoo handled 2 billion and Microsoft handled 977 million.
Google's slight increase in August came at the expense of Yahoo and Microsoft, which trended downward by 0.9 percentage points and 0.6 percentage points, respectively, the report said.
ComScore also tracked the top overall Web properties -- which include the sites of search companies and their subsidiaries. Google-owned sites, which include video-sharing site YouTube, led that list with 10 billion searches, a 2% increase from July. Yahoo sites, which include photo-sharing site Flickr, ranked second with 2 billion while Microsoft sites followed with 1 billion and AOL and its Mapquest site had 839 million searches.
Google's continued domination of the search market comes in the midst of its effort to defend its proposed search advertising deal with Yahoo. The plan, which would have Yahoo running Google ads alongside its search results has come under fire from advertising groups, and the U.S. Department of Justice hired a top litigator to consider whether the deal violates antitrust regulations.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Need to Replace MS Threat Management Gateway? Read this article to learn how F5's Secure Web Gateway solution provides a full set of features that can help you successfully migrate...
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts