Lenovo halts online sales of Linux-based PCs
Vendor will continue offering pre-loaded Linux machines directly or through partners
Computerworld - Lenovo Group Ltd. is cutting back on sales of desktops and laptop systems with the Linux operating system pre-installed.
The PC maker said yesterday that it will no longer take online orders for computers pre-loaded with any flavor of Linux. Ray Gorman, a spokesman for the company, said that it will continue offering such machines only through its own or partner direct sales teams.
"Our commitment to Linux has not changed," said Gorman in an e-mail to Computerworld. "What's changed is that customers will no longer be able to order Lenovo ThinkPads and ThinkCentres with pre-installed Linux via the lenovo.com Web site."
Gorman said the most orders for pre-loaded Linux software had come through their sales teams or business partners. Their online sales for pre-installed Linux weren't hitting big enough numbers, he added.
Lenovo has been offering Linux-based machines since 2000.
The company will continue to pre-certify Novell and Red Hat Linux on ThinkPad laptops and ThinkCentre desktops. Lenovo is also adding Ubuntu certification for new ThinkPad and ThinkCentre PCs, according to Gorman.
He also noted that Lenovo is slated to deliver Linux-based servers and IdeaPad netbook models in September and October, respectively.
Read more about PCs in Computerworld's PCs Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!