Obama campaign unveils online tool to help canvass neighbors
Provides list of undecided voters and tools to update progress on campaign Web site
Computerworld - Sen. Barack Obama's (D-Ill.) presidential campaign has rolled out a new online voter-contact tool aimed at providing supporters with a virtual peek into the campaign's voter-registration database.
The tool called, Neighbor to Neighbor, provides users with the names and addresses of neighbors whom the campaign has targeted as undecided voters. The tool provides a script for users to jump start conversations with neighbors on the list, a customized flyer for distribution, an online interface to report on the results of their outreach efforts, and support and training, the campaign's Web site noted.
"You can go door-to-door or make calls at any time that's convenient for you," the campaign Web site notes. "There's no one who knows your community better than you do, so help us build support for Barack Obama and this movement for change by beginning in your own neighborhood."
Indeed, this reporter received a list of 25 names and addresses of undecided voters within less than a mile of her home address when testing the tool. The tool advised that those names would not be assigned to anyone else for canvassing and asked for an online progress report of the neighborhood canvassing.
Nancy Scola, a blogger at TechPresident, projected that the tool could be an "under-the-radar killer app" in the waning days of the election.
"The personal 'over the back fence' approach was one that reaped dividends for the Bush-Cheney campaigns of both '00 and '04," she noted. "Campaigns have dabbled before in putting walk lists and contact-response forms online before, but in scale and ambition, Neighbor to Neighbor is singular. It remains to be seen, though, if my neighbor Sally isn't a bit freaked out that I found out on the Internet that she's female, 47, and still on the fence about who to vote for."
Julie Barko Germany, director of the Institute for Politics, Democracy & the Internet at George Washington University, said that the tool is a new twist on the old tactics of handing out neighborhood walk lists or just sending a volunteer or campaign representative into a neighborhood to talk to voters.
"I remember seeing a Web site for the state Republican party in Michigan or Minnesota in which members could log in, retrieve the names of a few people in the neighborhoods, figure out who they were voting for and report back into the site," she added. "It's crowdsourcing the data-gathering process. While the tactic is old, the tools are new."
Obama and tech
- Obama administration to inherit tough cybersecurity challenges
- Dan Tynan: Obama's CTO -- Just do what, exactly?
- Thousands flock to site collecting ideas for Obama's CTO
- Analysis: With Obama win, Google emerges as a D.C. player
- Dan Tynan: The 21st Century President
- My.BarackObama.com social network stays online after election
- Al Gore sees transformative power of Web in politics
- Google-enabled government starts with Obama's CTO
- John Brandon: Barack Obama wins Web 2.0 race
Read more about Internet in Computerworld's Internet Topic Center.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!