FAQ: Meet Microsoft's new Internet Explorer
At some point, Microsoft will post localized versions for Windows XP and Windows Vista -- 32-bit only for both -- in Arabic, traditional Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish. The company hasn't set a timetable for those editions, however.
What's in it for me? Computerworld reviewer Preston Gralla came to praise, not bury, IE8 when he said, "The beta is still rough in some places, but for anyone interested in seeing the next big browser release, it's stable, useful and well worth the download."
Among the features Gralla called out in last weeks' review are the following:
- Enhanced tabs functionality.
- Improved navigation, especially to previously visited sites, via a revamped address bar.
- Advanced privacy controls that includes a private-browsing mode (often dubbed "porn mode" by the puckish).
- "Accelerator" mashup tools and "WebSlices" data feeds.
- Crash recovery.
- Suggested searches.
Here are the numbers from SunSpider, which is the benchmark built by WebKit, the open-source project responsible for the browsing engine used by both Apple Inc.'s Safari and Google's Chrome. (Note: IE8 Beta 2 won't run either Google's V8 benchmarks or Mozilla's Dromaeo suite without interrupting the tests with one or more error messages noting that "A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly.")
In SunSpider, smaller numbers are better.
The bottom line: Chrome is more than three times faster than IE8 Beta 2, and Firefox is over twice as fast.
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- Planning for Mobile Success Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Coding with JRebel: Java Forever Changed With JRebel, developers get to see their code changes immediately, fine-tune their code with incremental changes, debug, explore and deploy their code with...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts