FAQ: Meet Microsoft's new Internet Explorer
At some point, Microsoft will post localized versions for Windows XP and Windows Vista -- 32-bit only for both -- in Arabic, traditional Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish. The company hasn't set a timetable for those editions, however.
What's in it for me? Computerworld reviewer Preston Gralla came to praise, not bury, IE8 when he said, "The beta is still rough in some places, but for anyone interested in seeing the next big browser release, it's stable, useful and well worth the download."
Among the features Gralla called out in last weeks' review are the following:
- Enhanced tabs functionality.
- Improved navigation, especially to previously visited sites, via a revamped address bar.
- Advanced privacy controls that includes a private-browsing mode (often dubbed "porn mode" by the puckish).
- "Accelerator" mashup tools and "WebSlices" data feeds.
- Crash recovery.
- Suggested searches.
Here are the numbers from SunSpider, which is the benchmark built by WebKit, the open-source project responsible for the browsing engine used by both Apple Inc.'s Safari and Google's Chrome. (Note: IE8 Beta 2 won't run either Google's V8 benchmarks or Mozilla's Dromaeo suite without interrupting the tests with one or more error messages noting that "A script on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly.")
In SunSpider, smaller numbers are better.
The bottom line: Chrome is more than three times faster than IE8 Beta 2, and Firefox is over twice as fast.
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- 10 Steps to Application and Network Performance Nirvana 10 simple steps that network operations teams can take to ensure that applications and underlying infrastructure can both be tuned for maximum performance.
- Application Performance Management for Dummies Application performance management helps deliver the application performance users and the business demand. Effectively monitoring and troubleshooting application performance issues requires a comprehensive...
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts