Update: Sony recalls 438,000 Vaio laptops over burn hazard
PC maker is offering free inspections and repairs to affected models
Computerworld - Sony Electronics Inc. is recalling about 438,000 Vaio laptops worldwide because faulty wiring near a hinge can pose a burn hazard.
The recall was jointly announced today by Sony and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. The commission recommended that consumers immediately stop using VAIO TZ-series notebook computers. The agency said that 73,000 of the computers being recalled are in the U.S.
According to the commission, Sony has received 15 reports of overheating, one of which burned a consumer. Either the wiring problem, which is near computer's hinge, or a loose screw in the hinge can cause a short circuit that then causes the overheating.
The recalled laptop models are the Vaio VGN-TZ100 series, the VGN-TZ200 series, the VGN-TZ300 series and the VGN-TZ2000 series. The computers' screen size measured diagonally is about 11.1 inches. The machines in question were sold between July 2007 and August 2008, according to the commission.
Not all units are problematic. Sony recommends that users call a customer hot line at 888-526-6219 to find out whether their laptop is affected.
Users can also go to this Web site and input their product code and serial number, which can be found on the bottom of the computer. If users find that their laptops have the problem, they can make arrangements online for an inspection.
Mike Abary, a senior vice president at Sony, said in an online notice that the company will offer a free inspection and possibly on-site repair at the user's home or office. Users can also ship their laptops to a service center for repair.
Read more about Laptops in Computerworld's Laptops Topic Center.
- Ebook: Big Data Analytics For Dummies Big Data Analytics for Dummies is a valuable resource that addresses the practical dilemmas surrounding Big Data analytics and provides a step-by-step approach...
- A Guide To Preparing Your Data in Tableau Read "A Guide to Preparing Your Data for Tableau" and see how you can: Blend disparate data sources, then cleanse and enrich the...
- Meet Business Demands and Drive IT Innovation Your IT organization plays a strategic role in business operations. What new solutions and offerings could you create if you had an agile,...
- Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization IDC Over the next one to two years, vendors will release new versions of their virtualization product. Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization (RHEV), a commercial...
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10...
- HP DevOps KnowledgeVault This interactive resource focuses on the evolution taking place in the world of software development, specifically the Agile development framework, and the gap... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!