Update: Sony recalls 438,000 Vaio laptops over burn hazard
PC maker is offering free inspections and repairs to affected models
Computerworld - Sony Electronics Inc. is recalling about 438,000 Vaio laptops worldwide because faulty wiring near a hinge can pose a burn hazard.
The recall was jointly announced today by Sony and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. The commission recommended that consumers immediately stop using VAIO TZ-series notebook computers. The agency said that 73,000 of the computers being recalled are in the U.S.
According to the commission, Sony has received 15 reports of overheating, one of which burned a consumer. Either the wiring problem, which is near computer's hinge, or a loose screw in the hinge can cause a short circuit that then causes the overheating.
The recalled laptop models are the Vaio VGN-TZ100 series, the VGN-TZ200 series, the VGN-TZ300 series and the VGN-TZ2000 series. The computers' screen size measured diagonally is about 11.1 inches. The machines in question were sold between July 2007 and August 2008, according to the commission.
Not all units are problematic. Sony recommends that users call a customer hot line at 888-526-6219 to find out whether their laptop is affected.
Users can also go to this Web site and input their product code and serial number, which can be found on the bottom of the computer. If users find that their laptops have the problem, they can make arrangements online for an inspection.
Mike Abary, a senior vice president at Sony, said in an online notice that the company will offer a free inspection and possibly on-site repair at the user's home or office. Users can also ship their laptops to a service center for repair.
Read more about Laptops in Computerworld's Laptops Topic Center.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts