Xohm WiMax coming to Boston, Philly, Dallas-Fort Worth
The service will launch in Baltimore, as promised, this month
Computerworld - Sprint Nextel Corp. has been erecting WiMax gear in Boston, Philadelphia and Dallas-Fort Worth in addition to three other cities where it had previously announced plans to launch its Xohm wireless service, a spokesman confirmed today.
The cities for which plans had already been announced include Baltimore, where the service will go live sometime this month, as well as Washington and Chicago, where Sprint has said service will go live in the fourth quarter of the year.
No date for the Baltimore launch has been given. The spokesman said a planned joint venture with Clearwire Inc. for WiMax deployments nationally is expected to be set up by the end of the year, pending a Clearwire stockholder vote.
The spokesman added that WiMax deployments are a month ahead of schedule and that Sprint recently erected its 1,066th WiMax base station and has been transmitting from those sites.
In an interview with Sidecut Reports, Sprint Nextel President Barry West promised average download speeds of 3Mbit/sec. to 5 Mbit/sec. inside areas of network coverage. Devices supporting WiMax that will be available at the time of the Baltimore launch include modems from Zyxel and ZTE and two laptop devices, a USB device from ZTE and a PC card from Samsung. A WiMax tablet from Nokia is expected to debut after the Baltimore launch, he said.
- Review: Sprint's 4G Xohm WiMax--How fast is it?
- Lenovo bolsters Xohm with WiMax-ready laptops
- Video: WiMax apps go for ride
- Video: Using WiMax on Nokia N810
- Seth Weintraub: Sprint's Xohm not for Macs
- Xohm coming to Boston, Philly, Dallas-Fort Worth
- Clearwire CEO: WiMax a 'value proposition' in down economy
- Sprint CEO: Potential impact on WiMax from sour economy
- Xohm WiMax launches in Baltimore
- Analysis: WiMax vs. LTE: Let the battle begin
- Your Say: Will you try Xohm when it comes to your town?
- Find the latest CW reviews
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts