Xohm WiMax coming to Boston, Philly, Dallas-Fort Worth
The service will launch in Baltimore, as promised, this month
Computerworld - Sprint Nextel Corp. has been erecting WiMax gear in Boston, Philadelphia and Dallas-Fort Worth in addition to three other cities where it had previously announced plans to launch its Xohm wireless service, a spokesman confirmed today.
The cities for which plans had already been announced include Baltimore, where the service will go live sometime this month, as well as Washington and Chicago, where Sprint has said service will go live in the fourth quarter of the year.
No date for the Baltimore launch has been given. The spokesman said a planned joint venture with Clearwire Inc. for WiMax deployments nationally is expected to be set up by the end of the year, pending a Clearwire stockholder vote.
The spokesman added that WiMax deployments are a month ahead of schedule and that Sprint recently erected its 1,066th WiMax base station and has been transmitting from those sites.
In an interview with Sidecut Reports, Sprint Nextel President Barry West promised average download speeds of 3Mbit/sec. to 5 Mbit/sec. inside areas of network coverage. Devices supporting WiMax that will be available at the time of the Baltimore launch include modems from Zyxel and ZTE and two laptop devices, a USB device from ZTE and a PC card from Samsung. A WiMax tablet from Nokia is expected to debut after the Baltimore launch, he said.
- Review: Sprint's 4G Xohm WiMax--How fast is it?
- Lenovo bolsters Xohm with WiMax-ready laptops
- Video: WiMax apps go for ride
- Video: Using WiMax on Nokia N810
- Seth Weintraub: Sprint's Xohm not for Macs
- Xohm coming to Boston, Philly, Dallas-Fort Worth
- Clearwire CEO: WiMax a 'value proposition' in down economy
- Sprint CEO: Potential impact on WiMax from sour economy
- Xohm WiMax launches in Baltimore
- Analysis: WiMax vs. LTE: Let the battle begin
- Your Say: Will you try Xohm when it comes to your town?
- Find the latest CW reviews
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Keeping UP with Mobile Trendsetters Global survey tracks achievements and challenges of mobile initiatives along with best practices for success.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!