Xohm WiMax coming to Boston, Philly, Dallas-Fort Worth
The service will launch in Baltimore, as promised, this month
Computerworld - Sprint Nextel Corp. has been erecting WiMax gear in Boston, Philadelphia and Dallas-Fort Worth in addition to three other cities where it had previously announced plans to launch its Xohm wireless service, a spokesman confirmed today.
The cities for which plans had already been announced include Baltimore, where the service will go live sometime this month, as well as Washington and Chicago, where Sprint has said service will go live in the fourth quarter of the year.
No date for the Baltimore launch has been given. The spokesman said a planned joint venture with Clearwire Inc. for WiMax deployments nationally is expected to be set up by the end of the year, pending a Clearwire stockholder vote.
The spokesman added that WiMax deployments are a month ahead of schedule and that Sprint recently erected its 1,066th WiMax base station and has been transmitting from those sites.
In an interview with Sidecut Reports, Sprint Nextel President Barry West promised average download speeds of 3Mbit/sec. to 5 Mbit/sec. inside areas of network coverage. Devices supporting WiMax that will be available at the time of the Baltimore launch include modems from Zyxel and ZTE and two laptop devices, a USB device from ZTE and a PC card from Samsung. A WiMax tablet from Nokia is expected to debut after the Baltimore launch, he said.
- Review: Sprint's 4G Xohm WiMax--How fast is it?
- Lenovo bolsters Xohm with WiMax-ready laptops
- Video: WiMax apps go for ride
- Video: Using WiMax on Nokia N810
- Seth Weintraub: Sprint's Xohm not for Macs
- Xohm coming to Boston, Philly, Dallas-Fort Worth
- Clearwire CEO: WiMax a 'value proposition' in down economy
- Sprint CEO: Potential impact on WiMax from sour economy
- Xohm WiMax launches in Baltimore
- Analysis: WiMax vs. LTE: Let the battle begin
- Your Say: Will you try Xohm when it comes to your town?
- Find the latest CW reviews
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Stop Guessing, Start Measuring: How to Use Mobile Analytics to Deliver the Best App ROI This interactive e-book investigates how mobile is driving the need for app and portfolio measures unlike any we saw in the days of...
- APIs & MBaaS: How to Extend Your Enterprise Architecture for a Mobile World "Mobile," as Forrester Research observes, "is pushing aging web architectures to the brink." Download this whitepaper and learn how each of these requirements...
- Three Principles of the Mobile Era or Mastering the Mobile Shift: Three Keys to the New Enterprise In this whitepaper, you will learn the tools, technologies and strategies that are necessary for a mobile-ready IT to master the 3 keys...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts