Alcatel-Lucent names Verwaayen CEO, Camus chairman
IDG News Service - Alcatel-Lucent's board has selected former BT CEO Ben Verwaayen as its new CEO, while Philippe Camus, currently co-managing partner of media conglomerate Lagardère, will become its new chairman, the company announced Tuesday morning.
Verwaayen takes over from former Lucent Technologies CEO Patricia Russo, who resigned on July 29.
He takes the helm of a company battered by its passage through a rocky two-year merger process, during which its financial performance has failed to impress investors.
For the second quarter, the company's revenue dropped 5.2% year on year -- although excluding the effect of currency fluctuations, revenue would have risen 1.7%, the company said. Nevertheless, departing CEO Russo said in July that she was pleased with the progress the merged company had made on its cost-cutting program.
In addition to his role at Lagardère, Camus is a partner at New York investment firm Evercore Partners and was previously co-CEO of European Aeronautic Defence and Space Co. He will become chairman on Oct. 1, taking over from former Alcatel Chairman and CEO Serge Tchuruk, who also announced his resignation in July.
While the post-merger cost cutting may be done, the cultural side of things is far from complete, partly because of the uneasy relationship between the former CEOs of the two merged companies. Announcing his decision to step down in July, Tchuruk said his and Russo's departures would allow the merged company to take on a personality of its own.
Verwaayen, a Dutchman who will work in Paris, may have what it takes to bring the two cultures together, since he has previously worked for both Alcatel and Lucent. Before his six-year stint as CEO of BT, Verwaayen was vice chairman of the management board of Lucent, while he worked at ITT, a predecessor of Alcatel, in the 1980s.
Camus, who is French but resident in the U.S., will also be well placed to smooth over cultural differences between Lucent's historic base in North America and Alcatel's in France.
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!