Study: Grim outlook for U.S. IT spending
Higher energy costs are a big factor
IDG News Service - U.S. companies are pulling back hard on IT spending as the economic downturn continues, a new study by ChangeWave Research has found.
ChangeWave surveyed 1,947 people involved with IT spending at their organizations. The survey was conducted Aug. 11 through 21. Eighty percent of those surveyed were located in the U.S., along with small percentages in Canada and other countries.
Thirty percent overall reported that third-quarter IT spending was lower than previously planned, an increase of three percentage points since ChangeWave's May spending survey. Meanwhile, only 12% spent more than planned.
In addition, 29% said spending will drop or even cease in the fourth quarter, a 5% increase over the previous study. Thirteen percent plan to spend more.
"Thus, the brief period of stabilizing we picked up in May has given way to another major leg downward," ChangeWave director of research Paul Carton wrote in a blog post yesterday. "In fact, you have to go way back to the middle of the last recession (August 2001) to find a ChangeWave survey projecting this big of an IT spending downturn."
Higher energy costs stood as a top factor for the spending slowdown, cited by 35% of respondents.
ChangeWave's findings show a turnaround is not imminent; 39% of respondents predicted that IT spending in their companies would not rise until the second quarter of 2009 or beyond.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Best Practices in BYOD - Addressing BYOD Challenges in the Enterprise Take control of the iOS, Android™ and BlackBerry® devices in your organization, from one powerful, unified console.
- Built for Business: 10 Reasons BlackBerry Smartphones Are Still the Best Way to Do Business The BlackBerry® 10 mobile computing platform removes many of the barriers that slow down other devices. Here are just a few of the...
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts