Mozilla switches on Firefox 3.0 auto update
Most users will see the update offer in the next few days
Computerworld - Mozilla Corp. triggered an automatic update to Firefox 3.0 late Monday, a week after the company said it would start offering the newest version of its browser to users of the older Firefox 220.127.116.11.
Mike Beltzner, the director of Firefox, announced the planned update in a post to the Mozilla Developer Center blog. "Starting a little later tonight, users with the latest version of Firefox 2 will be getting an offer to update to Firefox 3," said Beltzner.
Last week, Beltzner said that Mozilla had some last-minute snags, including localization chores, to solve before it could release the update.
Users of Firefox 18.104.22.168 began receiving update notices to Firefox 3.0.1 last night. According to other information published on Mozilla's site, about 75% of users will be offered the update at the start. Then, depending on the server load, Mozilla will adjust that percentage up or down. "If you're running Firefox 22.214.171.124, you will see the offer in the next couple of days," Beltzner said.
The notice allows users to accept the update, postpone it 24 hours or decline it. The latter, however, won't be the last word: Mozilla may repeat the offer several weeks later.
Users who decide that they would rather return to the older version after upgrading to 3.0.1 can download and reinstall 126.96.36.199, Beltzner added. Mozilla will support the older edition with security patch updates until mid-December.
Firefox 3.0 shipped in mid-June, and features additions such as malware protection and enhancements that include a revamped address bar. When the browser went live on June 17, Mozilla's servers went dark under the load.
According to the most recent data available from Web metrics vendor Net Applications Inc., Firefox accounted for 19.2% of the browser market at the end of July. At the time, Firefox 2.0 users outnumbered those running Version 3.0 by better than 2-to-1.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts