'Eternal Sunshine' director said to be behind Microsoft Seinfeld commercial
Gondry shooting spots in Brooklyn, reports say
Computerworld - Michel Gondry, the innovative director of films, music videos and numerous TV commercials, is directing at least one of the TV spots starring Jerry Seinfeld touting Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating system, according to numerous reports.
Blogs in the New York City borough of Brooklyn reported in mid-July that locations including the Brooklyn Public Library, Prospect Park and parts of the neighborhood of Carroll Gardens were being closed down for a Microsoft television commercial shot by the French director and the production company he is affiliated with, Partizan Entertainment.
The trade magazine Advertising Age reported at the time that Seinfeld was rumored to be in the Brooklyn-shot commercial, though it did not confirm it.
Ad Age confirmed the involvement of the ad agency Crispin Porter & Bogusky, which The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday is overseeing the $300 million Windows advertising campaign starring Seinfeld.
A Microsoft spokeswoman said, "Stay tuned, literally," but otherwise declined to comment.
The Journal reported that the Seinfeld commercial, for which the comedian will be paid about $10 million, will debut on Sept. 4.
Microsoft wants to boost the flagging public perception of Vista, which has been hurt by Apple Inc.'s "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" TV ads depicting a young hipster as a Mac and a stodgy nerd as a Windows PC.
The 54-year-old Seinfeld, however, may not be the ideal pitchman to win back younger consumers. The married-with-kids baby boomer can no longer claim the same edgy appeal as when his hit comedy was still in original broadcast a decade ago.
For HP, Gondry starred in the ad and talked about using an HP desktop PC to edit video footage, record music and produce his Web site.
Read more about Operating Systems in Computerworld's Operating Systems Topic Center.
- QA Automation: Reducing Test Execution While Improving Coverage A leading capital investment firm in the US was in need of a comprehensive, cost effective and flexible solution to reduce their existing...
- Tablet, Laptop, or Desktop - Form (Factor) Follows Function Desktops, laptops, Ultrabooks, tablets, convertibles, and all-in-ones; suddenly hardware decisions seem a lot more complicated. To take advantage of these benefits, the savviest...
- The IT handbook for Windows 7 and Windows 8 migrations A comprehensive guide for IT departments making the switch from legacy versions of Microsoft Windows to Windows 7 and Windows 8. To date,...
- 7 Reasons Why Windows 8 is the Future Touch, cloud, BYOD and IT consumerization dominate the mindshare of IT managers. Windows 8 enters the scene with a host of features that...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Operating Systems White Papers | Webcasts