'Eternal Sunshine' director said to be behind Microsoft Seinfeld commercial
Gondry shooting spots in Brooklyn, reports say
Computerworld - Michel Gondry, the innovative director of films, music videos and numerous TV commercials, is directing at least one of the TV spots starring Jerry Seinfeld touting Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating system, according to numerous reports.
Blogs in the New York City borough of Brooklyn reported in mid-July that locations including the Brooklyn Public Library, Prospect Park and parts of the neighborhood of Carroll Gardens were being closed down for a Microsoft television commercial shot by the French director and the production company he is affiliated with, Partizan Entertainment.
The trade magazine Advertising Age reported at the time that Seinfeld was rumored to be in the Brooklyn-shot commercial, though it did not confirm it.
Ad Age confirmed the involvement of the ad agency Crispin Porter & Bogusky, which The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday is overseeing the $300 million Windows advertising campaign starring Seinfeld.
A Microsoft spokeswoman said, "Stay tuned, literally," but otherwise declined to comment.
The Journal reported that the Seinfeld commercial, for which the comedian will be paid about $10 million, will debut on Sept. 4.
Microsoft wants to boost the flagging public perception of Vista, which has been hurt by Apple Inc.'s "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" TV ads depicting a young hipster as a Mac and a stodgy nerd as a Windows PC.
The 54-year-old Seinfeld, however, may not be the ideal pitchman to win back younger consumers. The married-with-kids baby boomer can no longer claim the same edgy appeal as when his hit comedy was still in original broadcast a decade ago.
For HP, Gondry starred in the ad and talked about using an HP desktop PC to edit video footage, record music and produce his Web site.
Read more about Operating Systems in Computerworld's Operating Systems Topic Center.
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution In 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution, we'll walk you through potential sources of data loss in the cloud and provide...
- Workload Change: The 70 Percent of Your Business DevOps Forgot Adding WLA early in the development process ensures that the benefits of DevOps accrue for all applications, including your batch services. This paper...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Protecting Critical SaaS Data Before It's Too Late In this webinar, you'll hear how to avoid SaaS data loss through best practices from a panel of experts. All Operating Systems White Papers | Webcasts