Mozilla names best Firefox 3 add-ons
Crowns 7 winners in annual developer contest
Computerworld - Mozilla Corp. today announced the winners of its third "Extend Firefox" contest, an annual competition that recognizes the year's best Firefox add-ons.
This year's contest, which launched in March and brought in more than 100 entries, focused on add-ons that took advantage of Mozilla's newest open-source browser, Firefox 3.0.
Mozilla unveiled the final version of Firefox 3.0 in June after a long series of alpha, beta and release candidate versions.
The company awarded three grand prizes in the "Best New Add-on" category to Pencil, a diagramming and graphics interface tool; Tagmarks, which adds additional tagging icons to Firefox 3.0's location bar; and HandyTag, an extension that provides relevant keywords for associating with bookmarked sites.
In the "Best Updated Add-on" category, Mozilla also pegged three winners, including Read it Later, a bookmarking substitute; TagSifter, which lets users browse bookmarks by their tags; and Bookmark Previews, an extension that adds album and thumbnail views of bookmarked sites.
It's not surprising that many of the contest winners add functionality to Firefox's bookmarking; Mozilla revamped the tool by adding an integrated search engine, single-click bookmarking and other features.
Mozilla also singled out Fire.fm in the "Best Music Add-on" category. The extension lets users access the music library on Last.fm, the U.K.-based Internet radio Web site.
The winners in the new add-on group will be given travel and accommodations to the Mozilla Developer Day of their choice, as well as new Apple Inc. MacBook Air notebooks. The three developers awarded prizes in the updated add-on category will receive a 15-in. MacBook Pro notebook, while the author of Fire.fm will be flown to London to visit the headquarters of Last.fm.
The contest also recognized six runner-ups in the new add-on category.
More information about the contest winners can be found on the Mozilla Labs site.
Read more about Networking in Computerworld's Networking Topic Center.
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!