HP chases business travelers with 3 new ultraportables
One laptop converts into a tablet PC, while another 3-lb. machine is ruggedized
Computerworld - Hewlett-Packard Co. is going after business travelers with three new ultraportable laptops introduced today.
The lineup, according to HP, includes a 3-lb. semi-rugged notebook, a machine that can convert from a notebook into a pen-based tablet, and an inexpensive Compaq laptop.
"It's good to see HP get into this market and bring some competition to Lenovo, Sony and Apple," said Dan Olds, an analyst at Gabriel Consulting Group Inc. "Even better, it looks like they've really looked at what business travelers need and want, concentrating on keeping the size down and battery life up. Moreover, they did it while still providing a usable 12.1-in. screen size."
The HP EliteBook 2530p is the smallest and lightest HP laptop that contains a built-in optical drive. Weighing in at 3 lb., the machine sports an HP DuraCase made of a brushed, anodized aluminum combined with a magnesium alloy. The case is designed to pass military-standard durability tests for extreme temperatures, dust and humidity.
Olds said it's a good move for HP to come out with a small form-factor laptop that could take the beating that road warriors are sure to give it.
"It's good to see more-durable cases in these systems," he added. "They're made to travel and will certainly get bumped, bruised and bent on the road. While they don't have the absolute lowest weight, they do have some interesting feature combinations, including integrated optical drives, which some of the other ultraportables don't have."
The HP EliteBook 2730p is an ultrathin convertible machine that can go from a laptop to a pen-based tablet that is 1.11 in. thick — just by rotating the screen. New features, according to HP, include an integrated touchpad, tablet buttons and a jog dial. An optional ultraslim battery accessory offers up to 12 combined hours of battery life.
The new EliteBooks, which are slated to be available in early September, support Intel Core 2 Duo ultra-low-voltage or low-voltage processors. They also feature an optional integrated 2-megapixel webcam with business card reader software, and an integrated HP NightLight that shines on the keyboard to improve visibility in low light.
HP calls the third ultraportable that it released today a "value-priced" HP Compaq 2230s. The 4.07-lb. laptop has a 12.1-in. diagonal wide-screen display and a satin, reflective, black-on-black surface.
The 2230s laptop is available immediately.
Read more about Laptops in Computerworld's Laptops Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts