GraphOn sues Google for patent infringement
Suit alleges that four Google services, including AdWords and YouTube, violate patents
Computerworld - GraphOn Corp., a developer of server-based application-publishing and Web-enabling software, today said it has filed a lawsuit alleging that Google Inc.'s Base, AdWords, Sites and YouTube services infringe on four GraphOn patents.
Filed in federal court in Texas, the suit alleges that the Google products infringe on patents that protect GraphOn's "unique method of maintaining an automated and network-accessible database," according to a statement from Santa Cruz, Calif.-based GraphOn. The suit seeks permanent injunctive relief and unspecified damages.
In a statement, Google said it could not comment until it received the complaint.
GraphOn obtained two of the patents and the applications that resulted in the other two patents as part of its acquisition of Networking Engineering Software Inc. (NES) in February 2005, the company said.
"The number of patents now owned by GraphOn as a result of the NES acquisition has increased to 23, a number that is expected to continue to increase as patent applications on file at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office mature into issued patents," said Robert Dilworth, GraphOn's CEO, in the statement. "Aggressively protecting the technology represented in these patents is an important part of maximizing their value to GraphOn."
GraphOn in November 2005 sued AutoTrader.com Inc. for allegedly infringing on two of the patents outlined in the Google lawsuit. A license agreement ended that lawsuit in January 2008.
GraphOn also filed a lawsuit in August 2007 against Juniper Networks Inc., claiming infringement of patents that protect network security and firewall technologies. In March, GraphOn filed lawsuits against Classified Ventures, IAC/InterActiveCorp, Match.com, Yahoo, eHarmony.com and CareerBuilder claiming infringement on the same patents cited in its lawsuit against Google.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All E-business White Papers |