IDG News Service - Dell Inc. may be trying to grab control of a term that could define technology infrastructure for years to come.
The application has reached the Notice of Allowance phase, where a company receives "a written notification from the USPTO that a specific mark has survived the opposition period ... and has consequently been allowed for registration," according to the USPTO Web site. The opposition period gives other parties a chance to object to an application.
However, it does not mean a trademark has been registered yet. "Receiving a notice of allowance is another step on the way to registration," the USPTO says on its Web site.
In the application, Dell describes cloud computing as "custom manufacture of computer hardware for use in data centers and mega-scale computing environments for others."
Dell officials declined to comment on the application.
The term cloud computing, which has emerged in the last few years, more generally refers to a computing environment where data and services reside in scalable data centers accessible over the Internet. The demand for such environments is being driven by the growth of technologies such as social networking, streaming media and mobile devices.
Through its Cloud Computing Solutions program, Dell already offers cloud computing services, including data center designs and hardware and services for data centers.
Dell is far from being alone in the world of cloud computing. IBM is working with universities to develop hardware and software management tools for large-scale computing environments. Hewlett-Packard, Intel, Yahoo and several universities joined forces this week to promote cloud computing research and education for data-intensive Internet applications.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts