Motorola taps former Qualcomm exec Sanjay Jha for mobility business
Jha and current CEO Greg Brown will serve as co-CEOs
Computerworld - Motorola Inc. today announced that former Qualcomm Inc. chief operating officer Sanjay Jha will be the new CEO of Motorola's mobile devices business, which is expected to be spun off in mid-2009.
Jha will also serve as co-CEO of Motorola with Greg Brown, who has been the company's sole CEO until now. At the same time, Brown will become CEO of Motorola's broadband mobility solutions business.
The choice of Jha is a "very good choice," said Jeff Kagan, an independent analyst. "This is a big win on Motorola's part."
While co-CEOs is an unusual management setup, "maybe that's what it will take to pull the company back onto the playing field," Kagan said.
During the company's second quarter financial report last week, Brown said a separate mobile device business led by an executive devoted to mobile devices would be the best course of action to benefit stockholders. Brown and Jha appeared in a joint conference call to announce the news to financial analysts at noon EST today, but few details were immediately available.
In addition to his former title as Qualcomm's chief operating officer, Jha, who is 45, was president of the Qualcomm division that made chips for cell phones.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Best Practices in BYOD - Addressing BYOD Challenges in the Enterprise Take control of the iOS, Android™ and BlackBerry® devices in your organization, from one powerful, unified console.
- Built for Business: 10 Reasons BlackBerry Smartphones Are Still the Best Way to Do Business The BlackBerry® 10 mobile computing platform removes many of the barriers that slow down other devices. Here are just a few of the...
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts