Motorola taps former Qualcomm exec Sanjay Jha for mobility business
Jha and current CEO Greg Brown will serve as co-CEOs
Computerworld - Motorola Inc. today announced that former Qualcomm Inc. chief operating officer Sanjay Jha will be the new CEO of Motorola's mobile devices business, which is expected to be spun off in mid-2009.
Jha will also serve as co-CEO of Motorola with Greg Brown, who has been the company's sole CEO until now. At the same time, Brown will become CEO of Motorola's broadband mobility solutions business.
The choice of Jha is a "very good choice," said Jeff Kagan, an independent analyst. "This is a big win on Motorola's part."
While co-CEOs is an unusual management setup, "maybe that's what it will take to pull the company back onto the playing field," Kagan said.
During the company's second quarter financial report last week, Brown said a separate mobile device business led by an executive devoted to mobile devices would be the best course of action to benefit stockholders. Brown and Jha appeared in a joint conference call to announce the news to financial analysts at noon EST today, but few details were immediately available.
In addition to his former title as Qualcomm's chief operating officer, Jha, who is 45, was president of the Qualcomm division that made chips for cell phones.
Read more about Management in Computerworld's Management Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts