Sidebar: The Mosaic Effect
Computerworld - Data elements that in isolation look relatively innocuous can amount to a privacy breach when combined, warns Elizabeth Gorgue, privacy officer at the e-Government Office at the County of Santa Clara, Calif.
In the intelligence community, that's known as the "mosaic effect" -- when combinations of data tidbits produce a picture that wasn't apparent from the individual pieces.
As the delivery arm of a number of state and federal programs, the county collects and maintains an enormous amount of data on individuals, including information about their medical and mental health histories, criminal records, demographic profiles and welfare benefits. "The kind of information we gather and maintain leads us to be especially concerned about privacy," says Satish Ajmani, the county's CIO.
To ensure better privacy protection, the county has launched a major data classification project. Its goal is to locate and classify every bit of confidential information it manages in order to get a better handle on what's critical to privacy and what's not, Ajmani says.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts