IDG News Service - A company is now selling what it calls the "world's cheapest laptop," which, at $130, is not a bad deal if you can bear some hardware limitations.
The Impulse NPX-9000 laptop has a 7-in. screen and comes with the Linux operating system. It has a 400-MHz processor, 128MB of RAM, 1GB of flash storage and an optional wireless networking dongle. It includes office productivity software, a Web browser and multimedia software.
The cheapest laptop to date was known to be One Laptop Per Child's (OLPC) XO laptop, available at $188 for a limited time late last year. While a technological landmark, it had some hardware shortcomings such as a slow processor and limited graphics capabilities.
The laptop hints toward a trend of declining PC prices. Last week, a company called CherryPal introduced a $249 mini-desktop, also running a 400-MHz processor, with 256MB of RAM and 4GB of internal flash storage.
In a recent interview with the IDG News Service, former OLPC Chief Technology Officer Mary Lou Jepsen said she would bring out a $75 laptop by 2010. Now running her own company, Pixel Qi, she cited the falling prices of RAM and components as a way to bring down laptop prices.
The low-cost laptop industry's poster child is Asustek Computer Inc.'s Eee PC, which was introduced last year and sold 350,000 PCs in its first quarter. The cheapest Eee PC, for $300, has an 800-MHz Intel processor, 512MB of RAM and 2GB of flash storage.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Acxiom Case Study This case study, which focuses on Acxiom, explores how the company was able to secure employee data, reduce migration costs and boost productivity...
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Exponentially Accelerate Data Protection and Recovery with Simpana 10 IntelliSnap® Snapshot Management Technology Are you making the best use of your storage array snapshot functionality? CommVault Simpana 10 IntelliSnap technology manages hardware-based snapshots across multiple vendor...
- Simpana IntelliSnap Technology Datasheet With IntelliSnap you can maximize the value of your snapshot technology while dramatically reducing management overhead and complexity.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!