Microsoft exec now says virtual-management software due in September
Network World - Microsoft Corp. will ship its virtual machine management tool in September, according to Kevin Turner, the company's chief operating officer.
Turner's remarks, made during his presentation Wednesday at Microsoft's annual meeting for financial analysts, are in contrast to comments the company made last week when Diane Prescott, product manager for System Center, announced on the team's blog that Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) 2008 would ship during the fourth quarter. In turn, Prescott's comments contradicted what Microsoft said back in April -- that VMM would ship 30 to 60 days after Microsoft's Hyper-V hypervisor, which was released June 26.
VMM is the management companion to Hyper-V, an add-on to Windows Server 2008. VMM 2008 is now in its second round of beta testing.
Management of virtual machines has emerged as a hot topic in IT as hype has engulfed the virtualization market. Microsoft is battling VMware Inc. and others for the hearts and wallets of corporate users.
VMM 2008 is the first management tool from Microsoft that supports Hyper-V. It also will support hypervisor technology from VMware and Citrix Systems Inc.
"We will allow those customers who have made that investment in another technology competitor's hardware and software to manage their environment and our environment at the same time," Turner said. "This is going to be very strategic for us in the marketplace."
Microsoft has also said that VMM 2008 would be offered as a stand-alone product for the first time. It will be unbundled from the System Center Server Management Suite Enterprise, which was introduced late last year.
In addition, users will no longer have to purchase Software Assurance maintenance contracts to get VMM 2008.
- Considerations For Effective Software License Management For many reasons, software license management has become a critical issue for many IT organizations and enterprise's alike. With many licensing options, hurdles...
- Vblock™ Specialized System for High Performance Databases Learn how Vblock™ Specialized Systems have been designed to deliver high performance in the millions of IOPS - with millisecond response times.
- Innovating Cloud Backup with Veeam Veeam leverages virtualization and cloud technologies to innovate and protect the modern data center.
- Virtualization Best Practices Guide Whether you're running applications on physical or virtual machines, you still need to stay vigilant to guard against the constant and growing hazard...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few.
- Virtual Desktop Must-haves: Cost-effectiveness, Scalability and Security Employees today expect to take their work anywhere and on any device. This BYOD mindset poses a dilemma for organizations that want to... All Virtualization White Papers | Webcasts