Microsoft exec now says virtual-management software due in September
Network World - Microsoft Corp. will ship its virtual machine management tool in September, according to Kevin Turner, the company's chief operating officer.
Turner's remarks, made during his presentation Wednesday at Microsoft's annual meeting for financial analysts, are in contrast to comments the company made last week when Diane Prescott, product manager for System Center, announced on the team's blog that Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) 2008 would ship during the fourth quarter. In turn, Prescott's comments contradicted what Microsoft said back in April -- that VMM would ship 30 to 60 days after Microsoft's Hyper-V hypervisor, which was released June 26.
VMM is the management companion to Hyper-V, an add-on to Windows Server 2008. VMM 2008 is now in its second round of beta testing.
Management of virtual machines has emerged as a hot topic in IT as hype has engulfed the virtualization market. Microsoft is battling VMware Inc. and others for the hearts and wallets of corporate users.
VMM 2008 is the first management tool from Microsoft that supports Hyper-V. It also will support hypervisor technology from VMware and Citrix Systems Inc.
"We will allow those customers who have made that investment in another technology competitor's hardware and software to manage their environment and our environment at the same time," Turner said. "This is going to be very strategic for us in the marketplace."
Microsoft has also said that VMM 2008 would be offered as a stand-alone product for the first time. It will be unbundled from the System Center Server Management Suite Enterprise, which was introduced late last year.
In addition, users will no longer have to purchase Software Assurance maintenance contracts to get VMM 2008.
- Extending the benefits of desktop virtualization to mobile laptop users Desktop virtualization is attractive to organizations of all types and sizes worldwide because of its many compelling benefits. However, there is a gap...
- Top 10 reasons to strengthen information security with desktop virtualization While technologies such as firewalls remain an important base, they're increasingly bypassed. What's needed is a new security layer. Desktop virtualization provides that...
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Five Things Every VM Admin Needs to Know Learn how to make it much easier to visualize, analyze, optimize and automate your virtual environment. Watch this recorded webcast.
- Top 9 Virtualization Optimization Tips and Tricks Most virtualization admins spend a lot of time deploying and configuring new VM's, setting up new virtual environments and fighting fires. This doesn't... All Virtualization White Papers | Webcasts