U.S. poised for broadband explosion, says Gartner
U.S. ranks fifth globally in household penetration
IDG News Service - The U.S. has fallen behind on broadband penetration, but that will change in the next four years, according to a report from market research firm Gartner Inc.
In 2012, 77% of all U.S. households will be accessing the Internet via broadband, compared with 54% last year, the report stated.
Gartner's analysts have put together a list of 17 countries that will have penetration levels that exceed 60% in 2012. Last year, 11 countries on that list were ahead of the U.S., but in four years, only South Korea, the Netherlands, Hong Kong and Canada will lead the U.S. in household broadband penetration.
The U.S. will share fifth place with Japan, which will see equally impressive growth.
Key to the large growth in the U.S. will be a combination of lower prices and increased interest as customers on dial-up move to broadband, according to Fernando Elizalde, principal research analyst at Gartner.
Several countries that the U.S. will pass are in Europe, including the U.K., France and Sweden. In competition with Europe, the U.S. will benefit from a younger population, according to Elizalde.
In 2012, South Korea will have a penetration rate of 97%; the Netherlands, 82%; and Hong Kong, 81%, the study said.
When looking at the penetration in emerging vs. mature markets, the overall growth is skewed. Not only will the digital divide continue between these two markets, but it will widen by 13 percentage points, according to Gartner.
On a worldwide basis, household penetration will grow from 18% of households in 2007 to 25% of households in 2012.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Live Webcast 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>> All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!