Global data roaming costs sink iPhone 3G use for enterprises
One company holds off on purchases in hopes that AT&T roaming costs go down
Computerworld - Apple Inc.'s iPhone 3G has a powerful browser and faster wireless connections to all kinds of data and multimedia, but those features may be too much of a good thing for international business travelers paying data roaming rates.
One U.S.-based manufacturing company with global operations would like to deploy hundreds of iPhone 3Gs but has found that international data roaming costs are too high, said an IT worker at the company who asked not to be named, citing company policies.
The manufacturer's finance department has put a ban on company purchases of the iPhone 3G because the international data roaming plan for the phone's exclusive carrier in the U.S., AT&T Inc., is too expensive, he said. The company is in talks with AT&T to get a better price for the service.
"Until we have an international data rate plan that isn't extortion, we're holding off deployment of iPhone 3G," said the IT manager. "IPhone sucks down data like no tomorrow."
With the first-generation iPhone, the IT manager said, several executives traveled abroad and encountered "psycho-expensive" data rate costs. One executive spent three days in Canada and incurred an $800 data roaming cost, while another spent two weeks in Italy and racked up $5,000 in costs.
The IT manager said he is asking AT&T to cut its international data roaming fee to one-tenth of its current rate, from about 2 cents per kilobyte to 0.2 cents per kilobyte.
"I realize that's an order-of-magnitude reduction, but that's what's necessary to make this device succeed for any kind of international uptick," he said. So far, however, AT&T has told the manufacturer to "lump it or leave it," the IT manager said.
An AT&T spokesman said he could not discuss an individual company's plan, although he said AT&T enters into contracts with large customers based on negotiated rates. However, AT&T has implemented some special international data plans for iPhone customers, recognizing "that the iPhone consumes data and that it is worse outside the U.S.," said the spokesman, Mark Siegel.
Siegel said he could not say whether many customers have complained about international data roaming costs with the iPhone 3G. However, he warned customers traveling abroad with iPhone 3G devices to be prepared for the high data usage and the cost of using a network in a foreign country under a roaming agreement.
"If customers have not thought about data use abroad, we have a whole array of tips on how to avoid added costs," he said, referring to the AT&T Web page on international calling.
Analysts said the manufacturer seeking lower roaming rates could be somewhat unusual because its sales personnel travel extensively to many countries. In many companies, however, sales personnel will stay in a single country, which would lower their data roaming costs, analysts noted.
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Securing Mobility, From Device to Network At one time, the process of managing and securing mobile devices and applications was fairly straightforward. Most organizations worried about one application (email)...
- Planning for Mobile Success Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,...
- The Challenges and Opportunities of Mobile Application Development Nearly all business users now demand mobile devices--their own or company-owned--along with anywhere access to corporate applications and data. What turns mobile devices...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts