In Japan, iPhone 3G makes its debut
It's the first time the iPhone has been available in Japan
The launch marks the first time the iPhone has been available in Japan, and the chance to be one of the first to own one attracted more than 1,000 people to the store of Japanese carrier Softbank in Tokyo's trendy Harajuku neighborhood by the time sales began at 7 a.m.
As the countdown clock reached zero, those waiting cheered and special-effects smoke enveloped a crowd of more than 100 journalists and photographers who had turned out to see the launch of the handset.
"This is the year that the cell phone becomes an Internet-connecting machine," said Masayoshi Son, CEO of Softbank, speaking in front of the store just before the launch. "Today is the day that will make it real, and I think it's a historic day."
It took about 20 minutes for the first customer to emerge from the shop clutching his new iPhone. He was actually third in line but had managed to get his application processed the fastest, so at first he excused himself for beating out the two people who had queued ahead of him.
"It's great, isn't it?" he said. "I've already used it to call my girlfriend."
Softbank will begin sales at its other stores and through electronics retailers starting at noon today.
- Continuing coverage: Apple launches the iPhone 3G
- 11 cool new apps for the iPhone
- Review: The iPhone 3G was worth the wait
- Elgan: iPhone, schmiPhone -- I just want better call quality
- iPhone 'tsunami' set to wash over rivals, says survey
- iPhone 3G activations in U.S. trouble-plagued
- iPhone 3G buyers? Doctors, teachers, sales persons and engineers
- iPhone 3G debuts, some glitches reported
- iPhone 3G: The unexpurgated arrival-day FAQ
- Blog post: Others get iPhone 3G. I get iBrick 2
- Blog post: Choosing Where to Buy an iPhone 3G
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts