Update: London launch of iPhone 3G marred by software problems
Compatibility issue between IE and Safari browsers disrupts activation
Apple has an exclusive deal with network operator O2 in the U.K., but O2's Web-based activation system requires the use of Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser to register a new phone: It won't work with the Safari browser bundled in Apple's Mac OS X.
In its Regent Street store, Apple had installed VMware Fusion desktop virtualization software on some of its Macintosh computers, allowing them to run Internet Explorer on Windows, but the activation process was still not working.
"It just goes dead," said would-be customer Mark Phipps, who left the store frustrated and without an iPhone 3G.
"They wouldn't reserve us one, which is a real kick in the teeth," he said.
Phipps is one of at least three customers that left the store disappointed by the delays.
Another, Josh Young, said the activation process was completely broken. He planned to return later.
The short line that had formed outside the store by the time it opened at 8 a.m. quickly moved inside, but two hours later the line had lengthened and extended out onto the street again.
Further details were hard to come by. Store staff would not allow journalists inside the building.
The launch went more smoothly in Japan, where the iPhone went on sale for the first time. The first new iPhone owner emerged from the store of Apple's local partner, Softbank, within 20 minutes of the launch.
- Tablet, Laptop, or Desktop - Form (Factor) Follows Function Desktops, laptops, Ultrabooks, tablets, convertibles, and all-in-ones; suddenly hardware decisions seem a lot more complicated. To take advantage of these benefits, the savviest...
- The IT handbook for Windows 7 and Windows 8 migrations A comprehensive guide for IT departments making the switch from legacy versions of Microsoft Windows to Windows 7 and Windows 8. To date,...
- 7 Reasons Why Windows 8 is the Future Touch, cloud, BYOD and IT consumerization dominate the mindshare of IT managers. Windows 8 enters the scene with a host of features that...
- How to Modernize Your IT Infrastructure & Streamline Operations Increasing line of business demands? Shrinking IT budget? See how Red Hat can help you meet growing.
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will... All Operating Systems White Papers | Webcasts