Microsoft fixes month-old WSUS patch snafu
Corrects latest update gaffe plaguing business users
The hotfix, which Microsoft outlined in a support document published Wednesday, addresses a snafu first reported by the company's WSUS program manager, Cecilia Cole, three weeks ago.
At the time, Cole said that PCs with Office 2003, or components of that version of the application suite, were unable to retrieve updates from their designated WSUS servers because of an unspecified bug.
The WSUS problem was the second in two weeks with one of Microsoft's patching mechanisms. In mid-June, some corporations running System Center Configuration Manager 2007 (ConfigMgr) were unable to push patches to end users' machines. In both cases, a June update to Office 2003 Service Pack 1 was involved, Microsoft admitted. But it offered no further details.
Last week, in fact, a Microsoft spokesman said it was "premature" to say that the WSUS problem was related to a ConfigMgr glitch.
In yesterday's support document, Microsoft acknowledged that the WSUS bug was rooted in the Office 2003 update, but it didn't provide details. "This problem occurs because a recent revision to an Office 2003 Service Pack 1 update causes some WSUS 3.0 servers to incorrectly synchronize the revised update with the update's approvals," read the document. "When the affected client computers communicate with such a server, the Web service is unable to process the approvals. Therefore, the detection is unsuccessful."
Microsoft did not immediately reply to a request for more information about a possible link between the WSUS and ConfigMgr troubles.
However, the company did say it is still working on delivering the fix through the normal Windows Update and WSUS channels; currently, the patch is available only as a manual download.
"When released through WU/WSUS, it will be marked as a mandatory update, which means it will appear in the Updates/WSUS Updates node of the Admin console, and will be auto-approved by default," warned Marc Shepard, lead program manager, in an entry posted today to the WSUS team's blog.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!