Apple's iPhone App Store opens for business
It already boasts 552 applications, with 24% of them free downloads
Among the first wave applications are AOL's AIM instant messaging client; Apple's own Remote, which lets users control iTunes on a Mac or PC using an iPhone or iPod Touch; and the location app Where. Of the 552 applications currently showing in the store, 134 can be downloaded free of charge; the most expensive, My Life Record, a personal medical records system, sells for $49.99.
As of 11 a.m. EDT Thursday, four of the five most popular applications on App Store were games: Super Monkey Ball, Cro-Mag Rally, Enigmo and Texas Hold'em. In the second spot, however, is MLB.com At Bat, which delivers real-time scores and video highlights of Major League games.
Although the App Store is live in iTunes, it's currently hard to find from the latter's home page. This link, however, leads users to all iPhone applications; from there, click on "App Store" in the bar immediately above the display area.
The strong debut of App Store isn't surprising, said Ezra Gottheil, an analyst at Technology Business Research Inc. "Everybody is building something for this thing," said Gottheil. "This is a very rapidly growing platform, and every developer and his brother is writing code. Plus, Apple is giving them a [distribution] channel. Some of them may be complaining about the 30%, but 30% to cover all the marketing is a great deal."
Apple, which introduced the App Store in March, lets developers set the price for their wares or, if they want, give them away. But it takes 30% of the revenues for providing the marketing muscle and App Store bandwidth. A program's developer keeps the remaining 70% of any income.
Although the App Store is currently available from iTunes 7.7, it will also be accessible directly from an iPhone or iPod Touch when those devices' firmware is upgraded to version 2.0. That upgrade, which will also add Exchange synchronization features to the iPhone, will be released later today or early Friday, in time for the rollout of the new iPhone 3G. Some users, in fact, have reported that they were able to grab the 2.0 update from Apple's servers.
The 2.0 upgrade will be free to iPhone owners, but iPod Touch users must fork over $9.95 for the update.
- Continuing coverage: Apple launches the iPhone 3G
- 11 cool new apps for the iPhone
- Review: The iPhone 3G was worth the wait
- Elgan: iPhone, schmiPhone -- I just want better call quality
- iPhone 'tsunami' set to wash over rivals, says survey
- iPhone 3G activations in U.S. trouble-plagued
- iPhone 3G buyers? Doctors, teachers, sales persons and engineers
- iPhone 3G debuts, some glitches reported
- iPhone 3G: The unexpurgated arrival-day FAQ
- Blog post: Others get iPhone 3G. I get iBrick 2
- Blog post: Choosing Where to Buy an iPhone 3G
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts