Sun takes on data boom with expanded storage lineup
Sun is also updating its Sun Fire X4500 hybrid server-storage platform
IDG News Service - With many organizations scrambling to meet exploding demand for storage capacity without constantly expanding their IT staffs, Sun Microsystems Inc. continues to push open-source software as a solution along with a new series of storage arrays and a hybrid server-storage system.
The company said it is trying to tackle twin problems plaguing some storage-intensive enterprises, such as online video providers, high-performance computing shops and companies with large server farms. In addition to increasing demand for storage capacity, the initial price of that storage and the cost of staffers to manage it remain high, said Ray Austin, group manager for storage product marketing at Sun.
Today, Sun introduced a line of storage arrays called the Sun Storage J4000 series designed for customers ranging from small businesses to large enterprises. The arrays, available now, can cost just $1 per gigabyte for bulk storage, with significant savings resulting from free software, according to Sun. The systems' high density is designed to save precious rack space.
The lineup starts at $3,000 and includes systems with maximum capacities ranging from 46TBs to 480TBs. The basic models are as follows:
- J4200, with as many as 12 drives per tray, for up to 48 SAS (Serial Attached Small Computer Storage Interface) or Serial ATA drives
- J4400, which has four drives per tray and as many as six SATA ports, with a maximum 192 SAS/SATA drives
- J4500, which has four racks, with 48 drives per tray and as many as four SAS ports, for a total of 480 SATA drives
Sun is also updating its Sun Fire X4500 hybrid server-storage platform, nicknamed "Thumper," with the X4540, which has twice the computing performance for the same price, according to the company. The system includes both server and storage capacity in a single device that takes up just four standard rack units and can hold 48 drives, Sun said. Like the X4500, introduced last year, it is designed for sites where space is at a premium. The X4540 will be available this month, with the X4500 family starting at $22,000.
Sun has built its Open Storage initiative around free software it offers for download. Used in combination with Sun's OpenSolaris server operating system and Solaris ZFS (Zettabyte File System), the J4000 series offers a cost reduction of as much as 10 times over traditional storage arrays, the company said.
Typical storage systems require separate management software for the servers, storage and storage-area network, along with multiple IT administrators to look over each, according to Sun. The company's combination of software systems unifies management and reduces the need for ongoing administration, Austin said.
- Top Five Reasons Why Customers Deploy a Flash 1st Strategy on EMC VNX Storage Read why with a FLASH 1st strategy, customers don't need to compromise between performance and TCO.
- Analyst: EMC's FLASH 1st Strategy Gain insight from analyst ESG on Flash storage and how the logic and value behind EMC's strategy for Flash.
- Addressing the Broken State of Backup with a New Category of Disk-Based Backup Solutions Today, IT organizations are faced with a number of challenges when managing backup processes, including the need for faster backup, restore, tape copy,...
- Optimizing Approaches to Enterprise Backup and Recovery IT organizations are faced with ensuring that backups occur in the shortest amount of time and are not operationally disruptive as well as...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All Storage Hardware White Papers | Webcasts