Expect iPhone, Fourth of July scams, security firm says
MX Logic forecasts increase in malware spam this weekend and next
Users should also expect a Storm botnet campaign this weekend that touts the Fourth of July holiday in the U.S., said MX Logic Inc. in its monthly threat forecast.
The Englewood, Colo.-based security firm said "significant spam, scams and malware campaigns" touting the rollout of the iPhone 3G on July 11 would likely reach users starting next week. "Scams will be especially prevalent if supply doesn't meet demand," said the company in the July forecast it posted earlier this week to its Web site (download PDF).
MX Logic cited a notice published by rival Websense Inc. in San Diego last month of an iPhone 3G scam that had made the rounds among users in South America. Two weeks ago, Websense warned that users who clicked on links in e-mail touting the new Apple smart phone risked infection by malware posing as Apple marketing video.
Also on MX Logic's radar for the month is the Storm Trojan, which the company predicted would again use the Fourth of July holiday to tempt users into clicking on malicious links.
"The July Fourth holiday marks the one-year anniversary of the Storm worm e-card campaign that several other Storm variants have since latched onto," said the company's forecast. "MX Logic expects to see Storm release another July Fourth variant again this year."
Last year, researchers linked Storm -- a bot Trojan that collects compromised computers into large armies of PCs ready to spread spam or more malware -- to a massive surge in spam during July.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts