Expect iPhone, Fourth of July scams, security firm says
MX Logic forecasts increase in malware spam this weekend and next
Users should also expect a Storm botnet campaign this weekend that touts the Fourth of July holiday in the U.S., said MX Logic Inc. in its monthly threat forecast.
The Englewood, Colo.-based security firm said "significant spam, scams and malware campaigns" touting the rollout of the iPhone 3G on July 11 would likely reach users starting next week. "Scams will be especially prevalent if supply doesn't meet demand," said the company in the July forecast it posted earlier this week to its Web site (download PDF).
MX Logic cited a notice published by rival Websense Inc. in San Diego last month of an iPhone 3G scam that had made the rounds among users in South America. Two weeks ago, Websense warned that users who clicked on links in e-mail touting the new Apple smart phone risked infection by malware posing as Apple marketing video.
Also on MX Logic's radar for the month is the Storm Trojan, which the company predicted would again use the Fourth of July holiday to tempt users into clicking on malicious links.
"The July Fourth holiday marks the one-year anniversary of the Storm worm e-card campaign that several other Storm variants have since latched onto," said the company's forecast. "MX Logic expects to see Storm release another July Fourth variant again this year."
Last year, researchers linked Storm -- a bot Trojan that collects compromised computers into large armies of PCs ready to spread spam or more malware -- to a massive surge in spam during July.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts