AMD unveils trio of quad-core Phenom chips
New Black Edition processors aimed at high-end power users and gamers
Computerworld - Advanced Micro Devices Inc. today unveiled three new quad-core Phenom X4 processors, including a high-end Black Edition chip.
The 2.6-GHz AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition processors are designed for power users and gamers, according to AMD. The 2.0-GHz AMD Phenom X4 9350e and the 1.8-GHz AMD Phenom X4 9150e processors, which were also released today, are aimed at energy-conscious consumers.
"These processors, under the most extreme operation, consume no more than 65 watts, delivering the performance of four independent cores at a low wattage," said AMD in a statement. "[They're] ideal for development of small and sleek form factors that can help cut down on energy consumption, take up little space, and operate with low noise."
In April, AMD released three new triple-core Phenom processors, continuing what has been a new product push for the chip maker this year.
Jim McGregor, an analyst at In-Stat in Scottsdale, Ariz., said in an earlier interview that simply shipping new products is a good step for a company that staggered dramatically in 2007 and was forced to delay product releases.
"They're rounding out their product portfolio," he said. "The biggest thing is having a dual core, a triple core and a quad core. They've got different performance, frequency and price ranges. It's very important they're coming out with new product."
Read more about Processors in Computerworld's Processors Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!