AMD unveils trio of quad-core Phenom chips
New Black Edition processors aimed at high-end power users and gamers
Computerworld - Advanced Micro Devices Inc. today unveiled three new quad-core Phenom X4 processors, including a high-end Black Edition chip.
The 2.6-GHz AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition processors are designed for power users and gamers, according to AMD. The 2.0-GHz AMD Phenom X4 9350e and the 1.8-GHz AMD Phenom X4 9150e processors, which were also released today, are aimed at energy-conscious consumers.
"These processors, under the most extreme operation, consume no more than 65 watts, delivering the performance of four independent cores at a low wattage," said AMD in a statement. "[They're] ideal for development of small and sleek form factors that can help cut down on energy consumption, take up little space, and operate with low noise."
In April, AMD released three new triple-core Phenom processors, continuing what has been a new product push for the chip maker this year.
Jim McGregor, an analyst at In-Stat in Scottsdale, Ariz., said in an earlier interview that simply shipping new products is a good step for a company that staggered dramatically in 2007 and was forced to delay product releases.
"They're rounding out their product portfolio," he said. "The biggest thing is having a dual core, a triple core and a quad core. They've got different performance, frequency and price ranges. It's very important they're coming out with new product."
Read more about Processors in Computerworld's Processors Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts