AMD unveils trio of quad-core Phenom chips
New Black Edition processors aimed at high-end power users and gamers
Computerworld - Advanced Micro Devices Inc. today unveiled three new quad-core Phenom X4 processors, including a high-end Black Edition chip.
The 2.6-GHz AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition processors are designed for power users and gamers, according to AMD. The 2.0-GHz AMD Phenom X4 9350e and the 1.8-GHz AMD Phenom X4 9150e processors, which were also released today, are aimed at energy-conscious consumers.
"These processors, under the most extreme operation, consume no more than 65 watts, delivering the performance of four independent cores at a low wattage," said AMD in a statement. "[They're] ideal for development of small and sleek form factors that can help cut down on energy consumption, take up little space, and operate with low noise."
In April, AMD released three new triple-core Phenom processors, continuing what has been a new product push for the chip maker this year.
Jim McGregor, an analyst at In-Stat in Scottsdale, Ariz., said in an earlier interview that simply shipping new products is a good step for a company that staggered dramatically in 2007 and was forced to delay product releases.
"They're rounding out their product portfolio," he said. "The biggest thing is having a dual core, a triple core and a quad core. They've got different performance, frequency and price ranges. It's very important they're coming out with new product."
Read more about Processors in Computerworld's Processors Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Neustar 2014 DDoS Attacks and Impact Report For the third consecutive year, Neustar surveyed hundreds of companies on distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks. The survey reveals evidence that the...
- Acxiom Case Study This case study, which focuses on Acxiom, explores how the company was able to secure employee data, reduce migration costs and boost productivity...
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Exponentially Accelerate Data Protection and Recovery with Simpana 10 IntelliSnap® Snapshot Management Technology Are you making the best use of your storage array snapshot functionality? CommVault Simpana 10 IntelliSnap technology manages hardware-based snapshots across multiple vendor...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!