Intel-funded start-up launches cloud storage beta
Nirvanix hopes to make CloudNAS online storage service available by August
Computerworld - Nirvanix Inc. this week launched a beta version of its new CloudNAS online storage service, which is said to allow corporate users to drag and drop files from network PCs into a cloud storage repository.
The company said that the beta testing is tentatively slated to continue until Aug. 1, although officials acknowledged that the testing could last longer. The company hopes to recruit at least 24 corporate customers to test the software-as-a-service offering for applications ranging from long-term archiving, backup and automated transfer of files to mapped network drives, said Jonathan Buckley, chief marketing officer at Nirvanix.
Nirvanix, funded by Intel Capital, Intel Corp.'s venture capital arm, and other investors, is pooling storage capacity on its delivery network that includes storage nodes located in separate facilities in North America, Europe and Asia hosting facilities. Buckley said customer data can be instantly shifted across the nodes where capacity is most.
During the testing process, users can store up to 25TB of data without charge. Individual files sizes can be no larger than 256GB, and Nirvanix will assume all storage transfer fees, said Buckley.
Once the storage cloud service goes live later this year, Nirvanix will charge 25 cents per gigabyte of storage. Support will be offered for $200 a month.
Buckley said CloudNAS can be a low-cost substitute for corporate file servers storing noncritical data. "The average IT guy in an average corporate setting doesn't need to spend money to save [inactive] files that reside on a filer. A lot of that stuff is rarely touched," he noted.
CloudNAS can support both Microsoft and Linux storage environments. The CIFS version of the service must be installed on a Windows Server 2003- or Windows XP-based computer. The Linux version of the service supports the RedHat 5 and SUSE 10 implementations of Linux.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Data Protection eGuide In this eGuide, CSO and sister publications IDG News Service, Computerworld, and CIO pull together news, trend, and how-to articles about the increasingly...
- Data Viz: 7 Considerations for Visualization Deployment Rising data volumes and increasing data complexity can make it seem hard to find and disseminate important information. Read this white paper to...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Next Generation of Affordable Storage As data needs continue to grow and capacity expansion becomes a necessity, companies of all sizes have to address the delicate balance between... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts