Report: Google faces Android handset delays
Handsets may not be ready till Q4; software changes hold up developers' building apps
IDG News Service - TAIPEI -- Mobile phones designed around Google Inc.'s Android software may not be available until the fourth quarter of this year, and some companies are struggling to even meet that deadline, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing unidentified sources.
When Google and 30 partners announced Android last November, the Internet search company said new phones would be on the market by the second half of this year.
But the Journal reported that some mobile network operators, such as Sprint Nextel Corp., have abandoned the idea of launching an Android-based handset this year because of delays. Other operators, such as China Mobile Ltd., have delayed their planned rollout of Android-based handsets to later this year or early next year, the Journal said Sunday.
The handsets aren't the only problem. Software developers are also grumbling about Android, the Journal said. Google continues to make changes to the software, making it difficult for other software developers to create programs that work with Android.
Wireless carriers have found customizing Android to promote their Internet services a problem, and some handset makers are taking longer than expected to integrate the software, test it and build custom user interfaces to meet the specifications of mobile phone carriers, the Journal said.
Taiwan's HTC Corp. is one company that has already said it is developing an Android-based handset. The company said it expects the mobile phone to be out in the fourth quarter.
Samsung Electronics is also reportedly working on an Android handset.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!