Update: Mozilla servers back up, serving Firefox 3.0
Guinness record launch promotion takes down servers
As of 3:30 p.m. Eastern time today, Mozilla's download servers were available and offering the final version of the open-source browser's latest update. A special launch page where the company had posted details about setting a one-day download record, however, was still offline.
"We've had a huge influx of requests, so the systems are in fact overloaded," said Mike Schroepfer, Mozilla's head of engineering, in an e-mail an hour after the launch. "The Ops team is working right now to bring up more capacity."
Users trying to update existing installations of Firefox through the browser's built-in update mechanism have also reported errors, but Schroepfer said that was by design. "We were planning on only offering full downloads today from Getfirefox.com, so 'check for Updates' will continue to return nothing, or an error if the systems are overloaded," he said.
Mozilla shipped the final version of Firefox 3.0 today after months of alpha and beta previews, plus three release candidates, the latest of which was issued less than a week ago.
As part of the launch promotion, Mozilla had urged users to help set a single-day download record. No such record currently exists, Mozilla had admitted late last month in a FAQ, but it was pursuing one nonetheless. "This is the first record attempt of its kind, so there is no set number. We'd really like to outdo the number of Firefox 2 downloads on its launch day, which was 1.6 million," Mozilla said in the FAQ.
Mozilla has said it will petition the Guinness World Records organization to accept its Firefox 3.0 download tally as the new mark to beat.
Firefox was last revamped in late 2006, and accounts for 18.4% of browsers in use, according to data from Net Applications Inc. Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer is the world's most-used browser, with a 73.8% share of the market, while Apple Inc.'s Safari holds third place with 6.3%.
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts