Parallels releases first Intel Mac server virtualization software
$999 per server allows for an unlimited number of CPU cores
Computerworld - Parallels Inc. on Tuesday released what appears to be the first application to enable Intel Mac servers to virtualize the Mac OS X operating system.
In development for more than a year, Parallels Server for Mac will let users of Apple Inc.'s Xserve and Mac Pro hardware to create virtual machines of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Server, in conjunction with Windows and Linux virtual machines (VM).
The software, which costs $999 per server and allows for an unlimited number of CPU cores (maintenance is extra), could encourage businesses seeking the efficiency and reliability provided by virtualization to take a second look at previously overlooked Mac servers.
Last November, Apple relaxed its server licensing rules so that its Mac OS X Server 10.5 Leopard operating system could run in a VM, provided that each VM is matched with a discrete license and the server hardware it runs on is made by Apple.
Apple still forbids desktop and laptop versions of Mac OS X to be virtualized or run on non-Apple hardware.
Parallels' Mac client virtualization software, called Parallels Desktop for the Mac, has the early lead over VMware Fusion, due to strong reviews and its faster time to market.
Read more about Virtualization in Computerworld's Virtualization Topic Center.
- Virtualization Security Is Not an Oxymoron While the business benefits of virtualization are clear, the virtualized world makes your organization vulnerable to an array of new cybersecurity threats.
- Security for Virtualization In the rush to implement virtualization, security has become second. So while the business benefits are clear, the risks are less well documented...
- Enabling Ubiquitous Visibility in Virtualized Environments Enterprises are rapidly adopting virtualization for dynamic service delivery and service management agility. IT challenges already exist in virtual environments and will only...
- ESG - Economic Value Validation - Riverbed Performance Management: Cascade Top 10 Most Important IT Priorities
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Virtualization White Papers | Webcasts