AT&T runs out of iPhones online
'Out of stock' messages online give credence to arrival of new model soon
A sampling of AT&T retail stores on Friday also showed that although a majority still have some iPhones in stock, several have exhausted their supplies.
AT&T's Web site, which includes a prominent section devoted exclusively to the iPhone, now displays an "Out of Stock" message beside both the 8GB and 16GB units.
The inventory draw-down at AT&T, Apple's exclusive network partner in the U.S., follows by almost four weeks similar out-of-stock messages posted by Apple on both its U.S. and U.K. online stores. During the weekend of May 10-11, Apple retail store representatives also said that the iPhone shortage was "companywide."
Salespeople at most of the AT&T stores contacted Friday by Computerworld, however, said that the iPhone was still for sale at their locations. Clerks who answered the phones at stores in Boston, Dallas and New York said they had both 8GB and 16GB iPhones in stock, for example, but those working in AT&T stores in Chicago and Seattle said they were out and didn't know when they might have more to sell.
That fits with information posted by BoyGeniusReport.com yesterday. According to the technology site, AT&T retail stores have been told that the iPhones currently on-hand are it. "As of today, the only iPhones left to sell are those in your inventory rooms in-store," read the message BoyGeniusReport.com said had been sent from AT&T to it retail outlets. "There will no longer be any availability online or via direct fulfillment from either Att.com or Apple.com as I understand."
Shortages have been interpreted by analysts as an indicator that Apple will launch one or more new iPhones soon, and perhaps begin selling them as early as next week. Apple will open its annual Worldwide Developers Conference on Monday, when CEO Steve Jobs will take the stage at 10 a.m. PDT. Most expect Jobs to unveil a new and faster iPhone able to access 3G-based data networks.
AT&T did not return a call for comment.
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected Protecting your data isn't a feature on a checklist, something to be tacked on as an afterthought. Download here to find out how...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security File sync and share can increase productivity, but how do you pick a solution that works for you? Download to learn some important...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!