AT&T runs out of iPhones online
'Out of stock' messages online give credence to arrival of new model soon
A sampling of AT&T retail stores on Friday also showed that although a majority still have some iPhones in stock, several have exhausted their supplies.
AT&T's Web site, which includes a prominent section devoted exclusively to the iPhone, now displays an "Out of Stock" message beside both the 8GB and 16GB units.
The inventory draw-down at AT&T, Apple's exclusive network partner in the U.S., follows by almost four weeks similar out-of-stock messages posted by Apple on both its U.S. and U.K. online stores. During the weekend of May 10-11, Apple retail store representatives also said that the iPhone shortage was "companywide."
Salespeople at most of the AT&T stores contacted Friday by Computerworld, however, said that the iPhone was still for sale at their locations. Clerks who answered the phones at stores in Boston, Dallas and New York said they had both 8GB and 16GB iPhones in stock, for example, but those working in AT&T stores in Chicago and Seattle said they were out and didn't know when they might have more to sell.
That fits with information posted by BoyGeniusReport.com yesterday. According to the technology site, AT&T retail stores have been told that the iPhones currently on-hand are it. "As of today, the only iPhones left to sell are those in your inventory rooms in-store," read the message BoyGeniusReport.com said had been sent from AT&T to it retail outlets. "There will no longer be any availability online or via direct fulfillment from either Att.com or Apple.com as I understand."
Shortages have been interpreted by analysts as an indicator that Apple will launch one or more new iPhones soon, and perhaps begin selling them as early as next week. Apple will open its annual Worldwide Developers Conference on Monday, when CEO Steve Jobs will take the stage at 10 a.m. PDT. Most expect Jobs to unveil a new and faster iPhone able to access 3G-based data networks.
AT&T did not return a call for comment.
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts