Microsoft beta-tests free online diagnostic tools for Windows
Bare-bones Sysinternals Live lets users launch troubleshooting tools from a browser
Computerworld - Microsoft Corp. has launched a beta service that lets Windows users launch the Sysinternals library of free diagnostic and troubleshooting tools — including the popular Process Explorer — from a Web browser.
The service, dubbed Sysinternals Live, is in beta, Microsoft said in a brief note posted to the Sysinternals Web site yesterday. "We're excited to announce the beta of Sysinternals Live, a service that enables you to execute Sysinternals tools directly from the Web without hunting for and manually downloading them," the notice read.
Sysinternals, the brand name for more than 70 separate tools, was acquired by Microsoft when it bought Austin-based Winternals Software in mid-2006. Microsoft also brought Winternals' co-founder Mark Russinovich into the company as a technical fellow.
Among the better-known tools in the Sysinternals collection are Process Explorer, an über-Task Manager; Processor Monitor; and RootKitRevealer, which sniffs out signs of rootkit installations by examining the Windows registry.
Users can launch the Sysinternals tools by using the syntax \\live.sysinternals.com\tools\toolname in Windows' Run box. (The name of the tool, as shown on Sysinternals Live, must be substituted for "toolname.") They can also launch the tools from the service's bare-bones Web page; however, some browsers, including Firefox, default to first saving the file, as in a traditional download, and require users to install the utility.
Users can call up any Sysinternals tool free of charge from the service's home page.
Read more about Windows in Computerworld's Windows Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Windows White Papers |