Hospital dumps Microsoft Exchange for Linux-based clone
In the end, it all came down to the price
Network World - Taking a page from the doctors at Moses Taylor Hospital, IT staffers at the facility in Scranton, Pa., last year diagnosed their messaging system and came up with an effective treatment that has turned out to be a lifesaver.
The patient in this case was an aging Microsoft Exchange 5.5 environment that couldn't support increased message loads and was going to cost a bundle to upgrade.
After conducting an evaluation of alternatives, the hospital decided not to upgrade to a newer version of Exchange. Instead, it went with a Linux-based Exchange clone that it felt could meet the needs of its 700 users without forcing them and IT to learn a whole new system.
As it turns out, it wasn't feature sets that swayed the decision. It was the price, according to Frank Fallo, manager of network systems and workflow development at Moses Taylor.
"[With Exchange], I saw extremely high cost, especially the [client access licenses]," he said. "The Microsoft billing structure was considerably more expensive, and that is just talking about the software side. If you want to include hardware, we also needed a more robust server."
"We have estimated that PostPath saved us 50% over the cost of Exchange," Fallo said, not counting what Microsoft Corp. would have charged for maintenance and support. (He declined to get into the project's specific dollar figures.)
The hospital also went from three staffers managing e-mail to one.
Another benefit is that PostPath is a "very good representation of the Exchange server," Fallo said.
So good, in fact, that everything on the network that talks to the server thinks it is Exchange, including Active Directory, making integration of Microsoft and third-party tools and other add-ons much less of a headache, Fallo said.
The integration also includes the Outlook clients that run on desktops at Moses Taylor, a 173-bed hospital that was opened in 1892 by New York merchant/banker/industrialist Moses Taylor to care for the railroad workers and coal miners of the region.
Fallo said the integration with Outlook has eased any training issues for the hospital and numbed the inevitable end-user complaints.
However, the one client difference that has worked in Fallo's favor is the AJAX-powered Zimbra Web mail client that PostPath uses. The hospital likes it better than the Outlook Web Access client of Exchange 5.5 (Microsoft has since improved its Outlook Web Access client).
"You can basically do anything with the Web mail client that you can do in the [Outlook] desktop client," Fallo said.
Apple does more to ensure its solutions are accessible to a wide range of users than any other platform, in spite of any drivel suggesting otherwise.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Security, Privacy and Trust in Email Management
- This white paper discusses a SaaS-based email management solution that delivers the security, continuity and archiving capabilities your organization demands.
- The Total Cost of Email
- In this white paper, we'll explore the true costs of fragmented email management and uncover how to reduce those costs with a cloud-based...
- Balancing Security, Compliance and Cost: the Prescription for Healthcare Email Management: Move to the Cloud
- Learn how cloud-based technologies for core productivity tools such as email and collaboration can help healthcare organizations be more efficient with IT dollars...
- Email Security Checklist: Eight Steps for Healthcare Organizations
- Don't let fear of violating Healthcare Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) codes prevent you from using email to communicate sensitive information.
- Seven questions you must ask before choosing your patient portal solution
- By asking the right questions and connecting the right stakeholders, you can ensure that you implement a true community solution that will improve... All Healthcare IT White Papers
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- All Healthcare IT Webcasts