Google releases Google Earth plug-in and API
Google Earth tools can infuse maps and other Web apps with 3-D geographic views
Computerworld - Google Inc. is looking to expand the reach of Google Earth with a new browser plug-in and application programming interface (API) released today that allow developers to infuse 3-D geographic views into Web applications.
The new tools will let users "fly" over different venues on Earth or access other features of Google's digital globe without having to run the client installation of Google Earth. Google hopes the plug-in and API will make Google Earth as popular among developers as the company's Google Maps application, whose API now runs on more than 150,000 sites, noted Paul Rademacher, technical lead for the Google Earth plug-in and API.
Rademacher said he expects Google Earth to be particularly popular on real estate sites so people can get 3-D views of houses and on travel sites where consumers can see the view from a hotel room.
Google said key features of the API include the following:
- The ability to embed Google Earth inside any Web page with only a few lines of code
- Support for manipulating KML and the 3-D environment to create polygons, lines and place marks
- The ability to view the thousands of existing 3-D buildings or add a developer's own 3-D models
- Support for switching to Google Sky mode for high-resolution imagery of stars, planets and galaxies
Google made the Google Earth announcement in conjunction with its Google I/O developer conference that began today in San Francisco.
"This is a relatively rare example of Google releasing a new technology to developers first," Rademacher noted. "Now we're very comfortable with the fact that developers do great things when you give them a new tool."
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts