New York court finds Dell guilty of fraud
Company convicted of false advertising, deceptive business practices and abusive debt-collection practices
IDG News Service - Dell Inc. was found guilty of fraud, false advertising, deceptive business practices and abusive debt-collection practices in a case brought by the New York attorney general.
The Albany County Supreme Court yesterday found that Dell deprived customers of technical support that they bought or were eligible for under warranty in several ways. Among those practices cited were requiring people to wait for long times on the phone, repeatedly transferring their calls and frequently disconnecting their calls.
Dell also often failed to provide on-site repairs for customers who bought contracts for such support and often blamed software when hardware was the problem, the court found. The company also sometimes refused to offer support when a support contract ended, even though the user had first complained about a problem before the end of the contract. Subscribers to a "next-day" repair service sometimes waited as long as a year for support, the court found.
Dell and affiliate Dell Financial Services LP also advertised special no-interest financing but denied those terms to almost everyone. It often sold customers products without informing them that they didn't qualify for the special financing terms and then charged them interest rates as high as 30%, the court said.
Dell and Dell Financial Services also often incorrectly billed customers for canceled orders and for accounts they didn't authorize. The companies then harassed the people for payment, using illegal billing and collection practices, the court said.
The court will determine how much Dell will have to pay in restitution to affected customers and will also require the company to pay the state of New York the profits it made on these deceptive practices. The ruling also prohibits Dell and Dell Financial Services from continuing to engage in the fraudulent activities.
The court laid out plans for investigating how many people have been affected as a way to determine restitution. Dell said it hopes the court will find that only a few people had bad experiences. "We're confident that when the proceedings are completed, the court will determine that only a relatively small number of customers have been affected," Dell said in a statement. "We believe that our customer service levels are at or above industry standards."
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Yankee Group: BlackBerry Results Refute Rumors of its Demise Yankee Group: BlackBerry® is stronger than the press makes it out to be.
- Your New EMM Platform: How to Streamline the Migration Smartphone migration can be resource-intensive and challenging. Find out how outsourcing the process can save significant time and money.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts