Borders launches new e-commerce site
With the move, it declares independence from Amazon
The new site features so-called Magic Shelf technology, which is designed to give users a real-world bookstore feel to their online experiences. In addition, the site includes an offering called Borders Media, a collection of exclusive and original video programs created by Borders.
Borders.com lets consumers select from approximately 2 million books, 100,000 new movies and 400,000 new CDs. Borders has also teamed up with Alibris.com to launch Borders Marketplace, which offers consumers the opportunity to purchase used, out-of-print and rare books.
Additionally, members of Borders Rewards loyalty program can redeem their rewards online. Until now, members could only earn and redeem their "Borders Bucks" and Rewards coupons in physical stores. Now, when Borders Rewards customers receive their weekly e-mail advising them of various discounts, they can click on a link within the e-mail to redeem their rewards.
Borders said it will offer free shipping on some orders over $25, as well as free shipping to its stores. In-store kiosks in Borders stores across the country will introduce the Borders.com shopping option to customers.
"Today is another milestone for our company as we launch Borders.com, a site that is much more than just another place to shop on the Web -- it is a source of information and entertainment that brings a real bookstore experience to life online," said Borders Group CEO George Jones in a statement.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All E-business White Papers | Webcasts