Borders launches new e-commerce site
With the move, it declares independence from Amazon
The new site features so-called Magic Shelf technology, which is designed to give users a real-world bookstore feel to their online experiences. In addition, the site includes an offering called Borders Media, a collection of exclusive and original video programs created by Borders.
Borders.com lets consumers select from approximately 2 million books, 100,000 new movies and 400,000 new CDs. Borders has also teamed up with Alibris.com to launch Borders Marketplace, which offers consumers the opportunity to purchase used, out-of-print and rare books.
Additionally, members of Borders Rewards loyalty program can redeem their rewards online. Until now, members could only earn and redeem their "Borders Bucks" and Rewards coupons in physical stores. Now, when Borders Rewards customers receive their weekly e-mail advising them of various discounts, they can click on a link within the e-mail to redeem their rewards.
Borders said it will offer free shipping on some orders over $25, as well as free shipping to its stores. In-store kiosks in Borders stores across the country will introduce the Borders.com shopping option to customers.
"Today is another milestone for our company as we launch Borders.com, a site that is much more than just another place to shop on the Web -- it is a source of information and entertainment that brings a real bookstore experience to life online," said Borders Group CEO George Jones in a statement.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- 6TB Oracle Ecommerce Stack Deployed on AWS in 7 Days A Fortune 1000 company was told that it would take more than 6 months to deploy their ecommerce stack on AWS. CloudVelocity deployed...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All E-business White Papers | Webcasts