Borders launches new e-commerce site
With the move, it declares independence from Amazon
The new site features so-called Magic Shelf technology, which is designed to give users a real-world bookstore feel to their online experiences. In addition, the site includes an offering called Borders Media, a collection of exclusive and original video programs created by Borders.
Borders.com lets consumers select from approximately 2 million books, 100,000 new movies and 400,000 new CDs. Borders has also teamed up with Alibris.com to launch Borders Marketplace, which offers consumers the opportunity to purchase used, out-of-print and rare books.
Additionally, members of Borders Rewards loyalty program can redeem their rewards online. Until now, members could only earn and redeem their "Borders Bucks" and Rewards coupons in physical stores. Now, when Borders Rewards customers receive their weekly e-mail advising them of various discounts, they can click on a link within the e-mail to redeem their rewards.
Borders said it will offer free shipping on some orders over $25, as well as free shipping to its stores. In-store kiosks in Borders stores across the country will introduce the Borders.com shopping option to customers.
"Today is another milestone for our company as we launch Borders.com, a site that is much more than just another place to shop on the Web -- it is a source of information and entertainment that brings a real bookstore experience to life online," said Borders Group CEO George Jones in a statement.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- 6TB Oracle Ecommerce Stack Deployed on AWS in 7 Days A Fortune 1000 company was told that it would take more than 6 months to deploy their ecommerce stack on AWS. CloudVelocity deployed...
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All E-business White Papers | Webcasts