Researcher: RFID market to hit $9.7 billion by 2013
With backing of giants like Airbus and Wal-Mart, sales are expected to grow 15% yearly
Computerworld - The radio frequency identification (RFID) business should see double-digit growth over the next several years, leading to a $9.7 billion market by 2013, according to an analyst firm.
ABI Research in Oyster Bay, N.Y., predicted that the RFID market will experience a 15% compound annual growth rate for the five-year period.
"These figures highlight an RFID market that is growing robustly," said ABI analyst Michael Liard in a statement. "Across all product categories and flavors of RFID technology, market trends continue to be positive. We saw a strong finish to 2007, which continued into a healthy first quarter 2008."
Just last month, Airbus SAS signed a multimillion-dollar, multiyear deal to use RFID technology to streamline its supply chain and manufacturing operations. IBM and OatSystems Inc. are providing RFID technology for the project, which has been in a pilot phase for more than a year.
And Airbus isn't alone. Wal-Mart Stores Inc., which had backed off of a once-sweeping mandate that its suppliers to adopt RFID technology, says that it is now looking to get back on track with the program. The retail giant noted in a recent interview that many of its 600 top suppliers, which account for some three-fourths of the company's sales volume, today use RFID technology to "some degree." And the company is now looking to increase that number.
On top of that, researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison announced in February that they were hoping to use RFID technology to create a way to better track blood supplies around the world. Improved tracking could lead to better handling and fewer instances of patients receiving the wrong blood.
"Future RFID market growth will come from many sources and applications," said Liard. He cited unique vertical market applications "as well as those, such as asset tracking, security/access control and supply chain management, that are common to a range of verticals."
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Using Continuous Delivery to Improve Software Delivery Learn more about the challenges impacting organizations and how continuous delivery processes can be a key success factor in accelerating software delivery.
- Global Bank Improves Quality of Application Development Read how this financial institution centralized build assets, cut development time in half and added additional security controls.
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts