McAfee anti-fraud researcher charged with fraud
Former ScanAlert exec in the soup in Indiana
IDG News Service - One of the researchers behind ScanAlert, the "Hacker Safe" certification company McAfee recently acquired, is facing fraud charges in Indiana.
Brett Oliphant, whose title had been vice president of security services before the Napa, California, company was acquired by McAfee in January, is facing 11 counts of securities fraud in transactions that allegedly brought in more than $1.215 million.
Oliphant and his brother Bryan were charged in December. Their trial is set for Nov. 18 at the Elkhart County Superior Court in Indiana.
ScanAlert built technology for auditing and then certifying Web sites as "Hacker Safe." McAfee paid $54.9 million for the company in January and has since renamed the certification service "McAfee Safe."
The Hacker Safe and McAfee Safe marks are designed to reassure potential customers that the Web site they are visiting has been tested for vulnerabilities and is unlikely to have been hacked by online fraudsters.
Oliphant's arrest was not widely known until blogger Ronald van den Heetkamp posted news of it on Monday. Van den Heetkamp has been critical of McAfee's certification service in the past.
The ScanAlert vice president had led the development of his company's vulnerability scanning technology and managed the company's research division.
A McAfee spokesman declined to comment on the matter or confirm whether Oliphant was still with the company. "McAfee does not comment on the private affairs of others, legal or otherwise," he said in an instant message.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!