EMC unveils two new disk libraries, de-duplication capabilities
EMC execs see solid-state disks playing an increasing role in storage arrays
Computerworld - LAS VEGAS — EMC Corp. today announced two new disk arrays for small and midsize companies, as well as upgrades to the company's existing enterprise-class virtual tape library (VTL) that include policy-based data de-duplication and disk power-down capability.
At its annual conference, EMC World, EMC announced two new versions of its Disk Library series VTL: the DL 3D 1500 for entry-level shops, and the DL 3D 3000 for midrange environments. The new arrays are targeted at LAN-based backup, using NFS and CIFS protocols for file backup.
The DL 1500 offers up to 36TB of capacity, and the DL 3000 up to 148TB of capacity. Both systems use new, larger-capacity 1TB Serial ATA disk drives with RAID 6 protection, and they offer optional Fibre Channel ports for SAN connectivity. Both libraries will also include de-duplication capability. They are slated to be available May 28.
EMC plans to begin offering policy-based de-duplication on its DL 4000 enterprise-class VTL, according to Dave Donatelli, EMC's executive vice president of storage product operations. The new SATA 1TB drives will also be available in the DL 3D 4000 VTL, which previously used 750GB drives.
The DL 3D 4000 model will be available July 28.
While there are many varieties of deduplication -- host-based, client-based, block-based, file-based, etc. -- EMC is using the technology on its VTL arrays to create a single copy of a document but allow it to be seen by multiple users through the creation of a pointer. For example, an e-mail sent around a corporation with an attachment would not include the actual attachment for every employee receiving the message, but a pointer to a centrally located file that only looked like an actual e-mail attachment.
K.J. Burke, a systems engineer with Barrick Gold Corp., a gold mining operation headquartered in Toronto, said he likes the idea that EMC is bringing deduplication into its VTL lineup in that it may help him further reduce file copies. Barrick Gold Corp. is using deduplication in the form of Data Domain Inc's product in its backup servers, and achieving a 20:1 data reduction ratio. "Where I could see a huge benefit in deduplication would be between file servers and our archives," he said. EMC also added disk power-down capability on its DL 4000 VTL through an algorithm built into the array's management software, allowing users to put any number of disks into a "hibernation" mode when not in use, to save on power and extend overall hard disk drive life.
In a separate announcement, EMC also touted a new version of its NetWorker backup software for midsize businesses. NetWorker Fast Start integrates licensing, installation and setup under a single-panel view. The backup software supports up to 20 Windows or Linux servers and five applications, including SQL Server, Exchange and Oracle.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- OpenStack and Red Hat: IDC White paper Most OpenStack deployments are by public cloud providers that are early adopters of technology and use OpenStack in a do-it-yourself deployment and support...
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform Datasheet Seamlessly transition to the cloud. Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform delivers an integrated foundation to create, deploy, and scale a secure and...
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts