Portland IT overhaul runs into delays, excessive costs
City hires new IT consultant as costs jump from $31M to $49.4M
Computerworld - Twenty months into an overhaul and integration of its more than 300 key IT systems, applications and data sources, the city of Portland, Ore., has changed IT consultants as the price tag for the project has soared.
Originally targeted to cost about $31 million in late 2006 for consulting fees, hardware, software and other expenses, the project is now estimated at $49.45 million, according to the city. The work, which was supposed to be completed this past December, now won't be finished until sometime next year, raising the costs of the project considerably, said Laurel Butman, a principal management analyst for the city's Office of Management and Finance.
"What happened was we were supposed to go live in December of last year ... and it became increasingly clear that we weren't ready," Butman said.
Now the city is negotiating a termination deal with Ariston Consulting & Technologies Inc.,the San Diego-based IT consultant that was hired to oversee the project. Both the city and the consulting company say that problems with the other led to the cost overruns and delays in getting the work finished.
As the target completion date passed last December, the city brought in consultants from SAP AG for advice, since the city is now moving to SAP's ERP software systems, including financial and human resources capabilities.
Butman said SAP found that the previously set project schedule and budget were too tight, and that more time and money would be needed to complete the work. The city was told "that the approach that Ariston suggested wasn't getting us to [the December 2007 completion] goal. It wasn't the software, but the process of approaching the implementation."
Now that SAP will provide consulting services to complete the project, the timeline and the costs have been expanded. The new schedule calls for the city's financial software to be ready by November, with the human resources software ready by next May, Butman said. "SAP said that that was going to be a better situation for us," she said. "We are off and running."
Robert Stoll, a Portland attorney representing Ariston in the termination negotiations with the city, said the company did the best it could do with the information it was given by the city.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- The CIO's Guide to Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) This guide will help those making an EMM platform decision make the best choice for their organization.
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts