In Pictures: A look inside what may be the world's fastest supercomputer
New Roadrunner is expected to break the petaflop barrier when tested later this month
Computerworld - Taking up 6,000 square feet and weighing in at 500,000 pounds, the latest version of the IBM Roadrunner supercomputer is nearly complete.
Engineers and technicians are in the process of finishing its assembly and expect to begin running tests within a few weeks to gauge its performance, according to Don Grice, chief engineer on the Roadrunner project. Grice said he is highly confident that the new system will break the petaflop barrier, which is akin to the four-minute mile of supercomputing.
A petaflop is 1,000 trillion calculations per second. Right now, the world's fastest supercomputer is the BlueGene/L, which runs at 478 teraflops, or a trillion calculations per second. The new Roadrunner will gain its huge power boost by using both AMD's Opteron chips and the Cell chips originally designed by IBM, Sony and Toshiba for video games.
"We will break the petascale," Grice told Computerworld. Actually, IBM is contractually obligated to hit a petaflop under its agreement with Los Alamos National Laboratory, which is buying the machine.
Once IBM finishes testing Roadrunner, it will be disassembled, loaded onto 21 tractor-trailer trucks and driven to the lab in New Mexico, where it will be put back together again.
Here are pictures of Roadrunner as it neared completion in IBM's Poughkeepsie, N.Y., facility.
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All High Performance Computing White Papers | Webcasts