It's official: AT&T offers iPhone owners free Wi-Fi
Web site, customer service reps tout free hot spot access, Starbucks included
Early on Thursday, the page dedicated to AT&T's subscriber plans for Apple's iPhone showed "Access to AT&T Wi-Fi hot spots" in a section that describes additional features of those plans.
The page also spelled out the extent of that free access. "Unlimited Data (e-mail and Web), 200 SMS text messages and access to AT&T's more than 17,000 Wi-Fi hot spots, including Starbucks* all for use in the U.S. *Wi-Fi available at U.S. company operated Starbucks locations equipped with a hot spot [emphasis added]."
Several customer service representatives for the company confirmed by telephone today that the free wireless is now part of all iPhone plans.
Last week, iPhone users discovered that they could use AT&T's wireless access points in Starbucks coffee shops and other locations, including some Barnes & Noble bookstores. All that was required was their iPhone telephone number.
But the free access lasted little more than a day before AT&T turned off the Wi-Fi. By Friday, users reported that they were being asked to enter a username and password to access hot spots they had used for free the day before.
Some speculated that AT&T yanked the access because it had been easy to trick the hot spot into offering the free wireless to anyone armed with an iPhone number, not only to people using an iPhone.
Computerworld had confirmed the on-again, off-again free Wi-Fi access at multiple Starbucks stores in Eugene, Ore. AT&T, however, repeatedly declined to comment last week when asked about the appearance and disappearance of the wireless service.
Today, AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel again offered "no comment" when asked about the newest information on his company's Web site.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts