Apple, VMware update Mac software for XP SP3
Revs of Boot Camp and Fusion to account for Microsoft's newest old OS
Apple released Boot Camp 2.1.1, the program included with its Leopard operating system that allows Intel-based Macs to run Windows in a separate disk partition. The company posted three downloads — one each for Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit and Windows Vista 64-bit — to its Web site.
A typically terse note accompanying the update said only that it "addresses issues and improves compatibility." Apple made clear, however, that Boot Camp 2.1.1 is necessary to run Windows XP Service Pack 3 on a Mac. SP3, a collection of patches and enhancements was completed Monday, and will be offered to users starting next Tuesday, April 29, via Windows Update.
Also on Thursday, VMware updated its Fusion virtualization software to Version 1.1.2, adding support for Windows XP SP3 Boot Camp partitions when they're run as virtual machines (VM), and fixing bugs when Fusion is used on the MacBook Air, Apple's newest notebook.
Fusion 1.1.2 also adds support for Time Machine, Leopard's built-in backup and restore program, and patches half a dozen other bugs. To back up VMs with Time Machine, Mac owners must be running Mac OS 10.5.2.
The update is free for registered users and can be downloaded from the VMware site.
Read more about Operating Systems in Computerworld's Operating Systems Topic Center.
- 7 Elements of Radically Simple OS Migration OS migration is typically time-consuming and expensive. To make your next migration easy, follow these six recommendations when planning your project.
- Flying High on the Use of Red Hat Enterprise Linux Flybe was one of the 21 companies that were interviewed for quantitative results on their operations as part of an IDC ROI analysis....
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution In 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution, we'll walk you through potential sources of data loss in the cloud and provide...
- Protecting Critical SaaS Data Before It's Too Late In this webinar, you'll hear how to avoid SaaS data loss through best practices from a panel of experts.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All Operating Systems White Papers | Webcasts