Western Digital unveils speedy 2.5-in. hard drive
300 GB VelociRaptor drive will debut this month on Alienware gaming systems
Computerworld - Western Digital Corp. today launched the first model of its new 2.5-in. VelociRaptor VR 150 hard-drive product line, which company executives said offers about twice the capacity of the 2.5-in. Raptor hard drive it will replace.
The new VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS hard drive stores up to 300GB and is designed for high-performance gaming systems and video editing applications running on PCs, Macintoshes and low-end servers. The new two-platter drive can write and read data at 5.9 and 4.7 milliseconds, respectively, which outpaces the data-access times of its predecessor, the 150GB WD Raptor EL 150 by 355, said Steven Bell, manager of the enterprise product alliance at Western Digital.
The new hard drive will ship on Alienware Corp.'s ALX gaming desktop in two 300GB drive configurations by the end of April.
The VelociRaptor will be offered through the company's online store and resellers in May for about $300.
Bell said will phase out its Raptor EL 150 products, but he declined to disclose details.
Western Digital said the new drive will be shipped with a new 3.5-in. mounting frame, called WD IcePak, which enables the hard drive to fit into standard workstation slots. The IcePak frame includes a built-in heat sink that can reduce the drive's heat output by as much as 7 degrees in a high-performance desktop chassis, noted Bell.
The new four-head VelociRaptor drive features a sustained data rate of 120MB/sec., spins at speeds of up to 10,000 rpm, supports a 3Gbit/sec. interface speed and has 16MB cache. Western Digital said the new drive has a 1.4 million-hour mean time between failure (MBTF) rate.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Data Protection eGuide In this eGuide, CSO and sister publications IDG News Service, Computerworld, and CIO pull together news, trend, and how-to articles about the increasingly...
- Data Viz: 7 Considerations for Visualization Deployment Rising data volumes and increasing data complexity can make it seem hard to find and disseminate important information. Read this white paper to...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Next Generation of Affordable Storage As data needs continue to grow and capacity expansion becomes a necessity, companies of all sizes have to address the delicate balance between... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts