Android developers' competition draws 1,788 entries
IDG News Service - Developers from over 70 countries have submitted 1,788 entries to the Android Developer Challenge, according to Google.
The goal of the challenge is to drum up interest in the Android platform, a software package for mobile devices that includes an operating system, middleware and some key applications. Applications, built by anyone who has the requisite the skills, will be a huge part of the Android vision, Google said.
Any phone manufacturer or carrier could use the platform to build tailor-made phones faster than previously possible, according to the platform's supporters, the Open Handset Alliance.
The challenge entries cover many different application areas, including games, social networking, utilities, productivity and developer tools, according to a Google blog entry submitted by Azhar Hashem, product marketing manager for Android.
The U.S. generated the largest number of entries, with other entries coming from Germany, Japan, China, India, Canada, France and the U.K., Hashem wrote.
Now it's time for the judges to get to work: They will soon receive laptops loaded with all the submissions, according to Hashem.
Next month, 50 semifinalists will be awarded $25,000 each to fund further development. They will then compete for 10 $275,000 awards, and 10 $100,000 awards.
The winners will be announced on July 21.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Keeping UP with Mobile Trendsetters Global survey tracks achievements and challenges of mobile initiatives along with best practices for success.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!