Curl debuts its RIA features for Ubuntu Linux
Installer enables Ubuntu desktop users to see Curl-enhanced online content
Computerworld - Curl Inc. today announced support for Ubuntu Linux, which will allow desktop Ubuntu users to easily see Curl-enhanced Web content on their computers without having to manually configure a player.
The rich Internet application (RIA) vendor said the Ubuntu Installer for its Curl 6.0 platform also provides tools for Web developers to create rich Internet content that will be viewable to Ubuntu users.
Bert Halstead, chief architect at the Cambridge, Mass.-based company, said Ubuntu desktop users can download the Curl runtime environment for free to enable their computers to properly render the Curl-enhanced code when viewing Web pages.
"It gives Ubuntu users the ability to see Curl content in the way it is meant to be seen," with enhanced features, Halstead said.
The new installer supports Ubuntu 7.10 and is expected to also work with the upcoming 8.04 release, he said.
Curl already has support for Red Hat 9 Linux, SUSE Enterprise Linux 9 and Turbolinux 10 and 11, as well as Windows XP and Vista. There are also beta versions for Mac OS X on PowerPC and Intel processors.
Richard Monson-Haefel, Curl's vice president of developer relations, said Curl allows developers to write their code once and then it is properly rendered for each operating system.
"Adding Ubuntu is a big step for us because Ubuntu is the biggest desktop Linux" in use, he said. Because Ubuntu is a Debian-based Linux distribution, any other Debian-based Linux should also work with the Ubuntu installer, Monson-Haefel said.
The product is free for most users, but there are licensing fees for enterprise users that want to use it internally and for users that charge for their online content.
Read more about Operating Systems in Computerworld's Operating Systems Topic Center.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All App Development White Papers | Webcasts